What happens if you don't use a bullet guide?

I just finished up my PG conversion. I want to use regular AK mags but haven't ordered the bullet guide yet. If you don't use the guide, I assume that you'd end up with the tip of the bullet hitting too low? I see the Saiga mag has a taller front end to make up for this room. By not installing one will I have issues all the time, or is it something that you can get away without installing as long as you don't mind an occasional jam?

Thanks

I just finished up my PG conversion. I want to use regular AK mags but haven't ordered the bullet guide yet. If you don't use the guide, I assume that you'd end up with the tip of the bullet hitting too low? I see the Saiga mag has a taller front end to make up for this room. By not installing one will I have issues all the time, or is it something that you can get away without installing as long as you don't mind an occasional jam?

Thanks

I don't have a bullet guide in yet, but the most I can get out of a 30 round mag is 12 if I'm lucky. Your right on it hitting too low, at least thats what mine does.

Thanks

I don't have a bullet guide in yet, but the most I can get out of a 30 round mag is 12 if I'm lucky. Your right on it hitting too low, at least thats what mine does.

I was afraid that would be the case. Thanks.

The bullet guide is easy to install. I got it from Dinzag for $30 for guide, screw, drill, tap, and allen wrench. Took 15 minutes to install.

I know. I was waiting to order a number of things at once...saving...saving. I have to admit, I'm a little gun shy on the tapping. The last time I tapped was into aluminum and that didn't go well. Has anyone welded their's on?

After I did my conversion, I didn't do the bullet guide right away because I was waiting on a drill press to use. So I went out to test my new conversion, and since I had some 30 round mags with me I thought I'd try them out and see what happened. The only ammo I had on hand that day was SP silver bear, and I fired about 120 of them (even some bump firing) without any trouble. However, I did check and noticed the SP tips were mashing up a bit when cycling, so I stopped. Got impatient and then installed the bullet guide with a hand drill and no press... it was really easy to do, too easy...