general advice on conversion

Ok my new 7.62x39 should be here in about week and I have been searching and pouring over the forums looking for advice. I even seen mention of faq but did not see it. any way I would like suggestions on the easiest method and suggestions for a few mods I want to do. oh yea cost is an issue.

Tapco trigger group

pistol grip

vented hand gaurd (looks nice)

i would like to have a bottom rail for acc and a top rail for scope and or accesories

Bullet guide ( really not sure about this one) i know I have to use us made or saiga mags if I dont use guide just not researched this one enough

Muzzle break (would be nice)

I would like to change to folding stock but just not decided on what or how

I am sure i have forgetten something and I know all this has been talked about over and over cause i have found 1000's of post on it that contain alot of ideas and opinions. I appreciate any and all comments

Edited by cino

There are quite a few options you have for each of the things you listed. I got most of my parts from dinzagarms.com

Tapco trigger group- decide if you want your BHO (bolt hold open). If you do, you need to get a modified trigger group or modify it yourself.

Pistol grip- get pretty much anything you like.

vented hand guard- if you're handy with a dremel you can do it yourself or one of the businesses listed on this site can do an amazing job.

rails- again, you can install yourself or buy a tri-rail. adding a bottom rail is quite a bit less expensive.

top rail- you could go for a gas tube rail which are solid as a rock from what I've heard or buy a side mounted scope rail. I recommend a BP-02 from goodoptics.com.

A bullet guide is basically a piece of metal that you install so the bullet won't get jammed while it's being fed into the barrel. Surefire and your original mags have a higher lip in the front that 'guides' the bullet into place so if you go that route you won't need a bullet guide. I use steel surplus mags and installed a bullet guide, it was fairly easy and dinzag sells a installation kit.

Muzzle break- DPH sells a flash hider that looks pretty sweet that screws over the top of your barrel. Saigas are not threaded on the end and have a piece of metal wrapped around the end of the barrel so it's not something you can just screw on. I believe Cobra has a really good write up on how to thread your barrel if you have your heart set on a muzzle break.

Folding stock- I don't know much about those

Basically look at the picture section and see what you like. Some like a tacticool (like myself) look and others like a more traditional AK look. use the search function on this site, you can find almost everything you are looking for. Good luck converting your Saiga!

There are quite a few options you have for each of the things you listed. I got most of my parts from dinzagarms.com

Tapco trigger group- decide if you want your BHO (bolt hold open). If you do, you need to get a modified trigger group or modify it yourself.

the bho keeps the bolt open to easly change mag once last shot is fired correct? can you buy a tapco that is pre modified?

Pistol grip- get pretty much anything you like.

vented hand guard- if you're handy with a dremel you can do it yourself or one of the businesses listed on this site can do an amazing job.

I am fairly handy but with my luck i would be looking for a stock replacment may farm that task out

rails- again, you can install yourself or buy a tri-rail. adding a bottom rail is quite a bit less expensive.

ill do more research on this one and see what i like and where to purchase

top rail- you could go for a gas tube rail which are solid as a rock from what I've heard or buy a side mounted scope rail. I recommend a BP-02 from goodoptics.com.

A bullet guide is basically a piece of metal that you install so the bullet won't get jammed while it's being fed into the barrel. Surefire and your original mags have a higher lip in the front that 'guides' the bullet into place so if you go that route you won't need a bullet guide. I use steel surplus mags and installed a bullet guide, it was fairly easy and dinzag sells a installation kit.

do the standard 30rd mags suck that bad that i should look at for sure doing the guide and skip buying any standard mags?

Muzzle break- DPH sells a flash hider that looks pretty sweet that screws over the top of your barrel. Saigas are not threaded on the end and have a piece of metal wrapped around the end of the barrel so it's not something you can just screw on. I believe Cobra has a really good write up on how to thread your barrel if you have your heart set on a muzzle break.

Sounds like a farm out but ill check out the guide

Folding stock- I don't know much about those

Basically look at the picture section and see what you like. Some like a tacticool (like myself) look and others like a more traditional AK look. use the search function on this site, you can find almost everything you are looking for. Good luck converting your Saiga!

Thanks for the input

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because my Saiga didn't come with a BHO, but I believe it is just for holding the bolt open for convenience. I don't think it has anything to do with making it easier to change mags. I don't think it holds the bolt open after the last round is shot either. I THINK that you can get mags that can do that. There are quite a few threads about a LRBHO (last round bolt hold open) magazine. Long answer to a short question. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can buy a pre-modified Tapco FCG from Dinzag.

"do the standard 30rd mags suck that bad that i should look at for sure doing the guide and skip buying any standard mags? "

It's not really a question of 30 rd mags that are bad, it's that Saigas are shipped to use the original magazine that has a higher lip in front that will guide the bullet into the barrel. IF you want to use most 30 round mags, you will want to install a bullet guide. I have seen some newer Saigas that don't seem to need a bullet guide. My brothers has a 2008 model and will shoot just fine without a bullet guide. He just had to file down the mag catch so it would accept my surplus mags.

Hope this helps!

G2 trigger is great, I got mine from Tromix, they mod theirs a little bit for the gun

I'd get a SGM front handguard if money is an issue, its cheap and has rails, plus its a direct replacement so its super easy.

Bullet guide from Dinzag

a muzzle break can go several directions, DPH has a no thread brake on the way, right now they offer a no thread flash hider, or you can cut off the sleeve on the FSB and thread the barrel, OR you can replace the FSB with a threaded FSB and put on a badass 24mm real AK 74 muzzle brake which are totally badass.

Folding stock with blocks from ACE if you can find it, its on high demand with short supply

Good luck