BATF Classified Saiga 12 as Destruction Device

If thats the case, then what is the big deal? Could it stop saigas from being imported or made locally?

Well DD isn't legal in every state, so some guys would have to sell their guns to those of us in the free states, which would be a bummer for them. And it does have the "hassle" of having to file with the ATF.

But back then, some guys didn't file for their DD papers, just like some guys didn't file for their machine guns back when the NFA was established.

Those guys are screwed now, and their guns are worthless contraband which cannot be sold or possessed legally.

If thats the case, then what is the big deal? Could it stop saigas from being imported or made locally?

Well DD isn't legal in every state, so some guys would have to sell their guns to those of us in the free states, which would be a bummer for them. And it does have the "hassle" of having to file with the ATF.

But back then, some guys didn't file for their DD papers, just like some guys didn't file for their machine guns back when the NFA was established.

Those guys are screwed now, and their guns are worthless contraband which cannot be sold or possessed legally.

How can I find out which states allow DDs and which don't? Is there a singe source link that could answer this?

Everything you ever wanted to know abut the NFA: NFA FAQ

According to Bardwell's list, only HI, MO, MT and NJ have a "no DD" policy, and it's possible that your Saiga would be grandfathered anyway.

Edited by BobAsh
Could you move from state to state with it once registered?

Just the same as any NFA item.

Yes it would definitely stop importation, since the ATF considers any NFA firearm to be non-sporting. That's why the Clinton administration had the ATF reclassify the USAS 12 and Stryker 12/Streetsweeper as DDs, becaues they wanted to stop their importation. Though the Saiga 12 could still be manufactured in the U.S. even if it was reclassified as a DD, to buy one a shooter would have to go through the NFA transfer process, which the average shooter's wouldn't be willing to do since it would be so much easier to just get some other 12 gauge shotgun, and a U.S. manufactured Saiga 12 would probably be at least double the cost (if not more) of a Russian made Saiga 12, which would further reduce the number of people willing to purchase them, which is of course be the gun-grabbers' main intent with declaring it a DD, to make it as difficult and expensive as possible to obtain a Saiga 12.

Edited by Frogfoot
Yes, and the value of the guns you already own will double as well.

BobAsh. Are you guys at TROMIX prepared to make a TROMIX US fully made Saiga 12 if that happens? I would bet that Arsenal and others would hop on the band waggan as well. I find that US made clones are better anyway, case in point: PTR91, DSA FALs, and Arsenal AKs are all better than their original counterparts. I bet we would see better workmanship in the TROMIX made one than the Russian made. There would be no "Vodka Specials." Any thoughts?

BobAsh. Are you guys at TROMIX prepared to make a TROMIX US fully made Saiga 12 if that happens? I would bet that Arsenal and others would hop on the band waggan as well. I find that US made clones are better anyway, case in point: PTR91, DSA FALs, and Arsenal AKs are all better than their original counterparts. I bet we would see better workmanship in the TROMIX made one than the Russian made. There would be no "Vodka Specials." Any thoughts?

If I had the tools and it was commercially viable I would be building US made Veprs.

Second on my list would be a Dragunov in 7.62x54R and 7.62x51 with the possibility of other 08 derived chamberings.

Third a high quality Galil series.

The goal would be to keep parts interchangeability between my "clones" and the originals with my parts being better quality.

Ask me again in 5-10 years.

ETA: I'm no BobAsh but I can dream can't I?

Edited by KrisFox

If I had the tools and it was commercially viable I would be building US made Veprs.

Second on my list would be a Dragunov in 7.62x54R and 7.62x51 with the possibility of other 08 derived chamberings.

Third a high quality Galil series.

The goal would be to keep parts interchangeability between my "clones" and the originals with my parts being better quality.

Ask me again in 5-10 years.

ETA: I'm no BobAsh but I can dream can't I?

I believe that there is money to be made by cloning saigas. If Tromix, Chaos, MD, King Armory, or ect built a full clone, I would sell a russian saiga 12 to get the money to pay half. There is nothing better than American workmanship.