New member, newbie questions

Hey guys looked over the forums and just have a few questions.

First please understand that I have limited knowledge on guns, so please don't judge to harshly.

1. The pg conversion seems to be simple enough but was wanting to know if there were "shops" that would do this conversion for you? Or should I just look under gunsmiths in the yellowpages and hope to get someone that knows the saiga.

2. Have read so many mixed reviews on the methods for mounting a simple scope on the 308, what if any are your thoughts on the best method.

3. Ammo wise seems that if it shoots well and works for you then its good ammo is that a fair assumption. If not would looking into reloading be a viable option. Just seems that limited availability of ammo has me a bit worried.

If I have broken any rule or forum etiquette, sorry in advance for being a bit excited about my new rifle. Again my knowledge is limited so taking a dremel to my new baby scares the hell outa me.

While waiting for replies I of course will be reading so might just find my own answers, thanks for any help.

You can try calling the gun stores in the area. I would imagine one might be able to do it for you. I know when I picked my first 12 up I asked and they said they do conversions. But as most everyone here will probably tell you, just do it yourself. It's easy, it's fun, and you learn a lot about the gun. But if you don't have good bits, a punch, drill it might set you back a little bit. But have no idea what one might charge for a conversion. Trick is getting all the parts together. Just takes a little research and some patience to get em usually.

I don't know enough to talk about optics, but the AK side rail is cheap. Think you can pick up one of those mounts for around $20. If you don't like it maybe go with a built-in option. Plenty of people here can help with that.

Ammo new to the 308 myself. Only thing I've picked up so far is some 308 Hornady Tap. Will be checking to see what others say. Havent even fired, or converted the 308, just got it recently.

And welcome aboard.

As far as mounts, the Saiga's have been coming lately with a couple of different side rails. Check out

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstmounts.html

and ID your rail then you'll know what to shop for.

As far as ammo, I do reload and I have not experienced ANY shortage of .223, 7.62x39, .308, 9mm, .357 Mag/.38 SPC ,or .45. Food for thought.

As far as mounts, the Saiga's have been coming lately with a couple of different side rails. Check out

As far as ammo, I do reload and I have not experienced ANY shortage of .223, 7.62x39, .308, 9mm, .357 Mag/.38 SPC ,or .45. Food for thought.

Yeah, I'm thinking a progressive press is in order when finances will allow it.

Yeah, I'm thinking a progressive press is in order when finances will allow it.

I started with Lee's 4-hole progressive and have never looked back. The die sets are the best priced I have seen.

Appears that I have the 74mp03 side rail. So from a fast search I see that limits my options. Scout mounts, dust cover mounts or SVD mount. Not sure I like the dust cover mounts. Will be placing an order for the svd and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys. Still kinda worried about taking a dremel to my gun, but hell let the newness wear off and who knows lol.

Will probably spend the weekend looking at reloading.