Saiga rifles and Left handed shooters

I don't know if this topic belongs here but I am left handed and I shoot that way. I am interested in buying a Saiga 308 but I am concerned about firing from a left handed position. Any thoughts or work arounds would be appreciated.

Line Dancer

The S-308 is lefty-friendly! :up: I am very left handed, and have yet to get a case in the face or anything. The only possible gripe I can think of is the tendency to put my forward hand too close to the charging handle, but I learned pretty quick! :beaten:

Hope that sways you!

Acer

Could always cut the charging handle off the right side, cut relief in the dust cover on the left and TIG the handle on that side.

You'll need to ad a brass deflector though as the charging handle kind of does that normally.

As a fellow lefty, my advice is, keep your stock short and your foregrip with a noticeable hump. That way you'll know where your hand will go so you won't get bit. A short stock helps you keep your right hand farther forwards. The hump helps provide support so you don't feel the need to slide rearwards (a lower place to put your hand negates having to slide it back for comfortable support), and gives you an index point for your hand. Ejection isn't a problem. Saigas eject forwards or strongly sideways. It took me quite a while to figure out how my .223 was ejecting because I couldn't find my brass. Eventually I realized it had to be ejecting forwards. Then I found it, although it was effectively destroyed.

Edited by Mike the Wolf

When I was deer hunting, I would move down the trail with my Saiga at the alert carry (muzzle pointed downward at a 45 degree angle, the butt of the weapon in my left shoulder). My left hand would be on the pistol grip, trigger finger straight and off the trigger. My forward (right) hand would be resting on the top forward part of the magazine. My fingers would be wrapped around the forward top part of the magazine. My right thumb would hooked on the safety. Before I set off, I would slide the safety downward, just clearing the ejection port. This allowed me to quickly remove the safety with a minimum amount of noise and effort.

I caution you to make sure that you know where exactly to place the safety lever when you slide it downwards. Just clearing the ejection port, and my weapon is still on safe. If I slide it downward, it is ready to fire. As always, keep your trigger finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire, maintain muzzle awareness.