Just got back from the Saxet Gun Show in Austin, and to say I was disappointed would be understatement...

This is actually the first time I've come back from a gun show with NOTHING to show for it. I bought not a single thing, and felt that my $5 entry fee was a complete waste.

Saiga 7.62x39mm, unconverted, new in box, STARTED at $479. Most were in the $629-799 range, and I didn't see a WASR under $700, or a MAK-90 under $799. 7.62x39 ammo was $450/1000 *IF* anyone had any. Saw a couple SKS's, but the cheapest one was still $350. :(

Hell, I was hoping to just find some accessories - a decent side-mount scope mount that will stay tight (something with set screws is what I was looking for). Found one, but they wanted $49 for it. Too rich for my tightwad ways, especially when I see them from vendors here for around $20-30.

I was really hoping to find a decent deal on something simple - a li'l Ruger Mark II .22, or something similar. Cabella's has them on sale in their latest flyer at $269, and I figure shooting a .22 isn't the best thing around, but it's still relatively cheap, and gives me a less expensive way to stay in practice a bit. And being that Cabella's is overpriced on everything I've ever seen there, I thought for sure I'd be able to pick up a used .22 for under $200 or so. Yeah... Good luck with that. Cheapest ones I saw were still $275 and up.

Looks like I'll be sticking with the pawn shops for quite some time! In fact, now I'm feeling REALLY good about the MAK-90 I bought for $400 out the door last summer at a local pawn shop. I just wish they'd had more of them and I'd had more money. And I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the $190 SKS that was in the rack next to the MAK!

Meh... I didn't even bother to go to the Gun Show here in Mobile this weekend, for much the same reasons.

There are NO deals, everyone is gouging for every penny the market will bear.

I heard some vendors complaining last month at a show that, "... no one is buying anything (insert bitching)....".

One didn't want to listen to me explain why a used Taurus, 44Tracker4SS, shouldn't be $500.00, I can go buy it NIB locally for that, said I, he said, "Go buy it then."

Fuck'em!

Pretty much the same shit here in Virginia this weekend, low stock, no stock, and over priced. I paid the piper for 300 rounds of 7.62x39 because I just didn't have any :evil: . I picked up a scope mount for the SKS, other than that it was just a bust. I'm going to get a few esential items from the web and that's it unless I see something in my favorite pawn/ gun shop. I don't plan to do much shooting either, I just can't afford it. I guess its a good time to go in the garage and work on the Vette, God knows there's plenty to do there and, I'll bet I can get the parts for her helvua alott cheaper than guns and ammo. :smoke:

Funny, I was leaning the same way - I figure it's probably a good time to get back to work on the CRXs. Seems they're going up in value since I bought 'em...

By the way, Cabella's says they'll sell you 7.62x39mm at $264.99/1000. Says they're out of stock, but you can backorder it at that price. Thinking about snagging a thousand or two and picking it up at their local store when it becomes available, to save on the shipping!

Link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rset=ISO-8859-1

Edited by Kwicko