Looking for advice of on replacement stock for saiga 7.62. Desire side folding and adjustable. So far, only seen ACE M4 stock that fits this bill w/o major mods to rifle. ATI makes one for AK, but seems to require mods. Not very handy with tools and time is hard to come by for projects. However, ACE wants $ 199.00 and ATI only wants aprox $70.00. Are there any problems with doing mods (pistol grip forward) and using ATI stock, or is it better to bite the cost and go with ACE. In military, so PCS frequently and idea of return gun to original config is attrative. Also, considering TAPCO T6, any thoughts/experience with that. Thanks

Looking for advice of on replacement stock for saiga 7.62. Desire side folding and adjustable. So far, only seen ACE M4 stock that fits this bill w/o major mods to rifle. ATI makes one for AK, but seems to require mods. Not very handy with tools and time is hard to come by for projects. However, ACE wants $ 199.00 and ATI only wants aprox $70.00. Are there any problems with doing mods (pistol grip forward) and using ATI stock, or is it better to bite the cost and go with ACE. In military, so PCS frequently and idea of return gun to original config is attrative. Also, considering TAPCO T6, any thoughts/experience with that. Thanks

I realize that you said your looking for a side folder or telescopic type stock. I've got a Tapco Warsaw style fixed stock on mine. If you want quality, stay away from Tapco, regardless of what type of stock you decide on. Waste of money IMHO. That being said, why folder or telescopic? Are you gonna be working from a submarine or a helo with your personal weapon? Were you not taught the "Butt Stroke To the Head" ninja move? You need a solid stock for that, my man. Seriously I'm gonna order a fixed stock from K-Var. Don't cheap out, you'll regret it.

Thanks for thoughts on Tapco. I'm looking for an adjustable stock because my wife and I both like to shoot. She's 5'5, 115lbs and I'm 6'1" 215 with gorilla arms, hence different comfortable lengths of pull, hence the M4 style adjustable stock. The side folding just because it's plain cool (not as necessary). The ACE stock seems to fit both bills. ATI also makes one that fits on AK's. I guess I could try and do the mods moving the pistol grip forward. Have a friend that's converted two (not in a come to Jesus sort of way). Just seems like a lot of trouble, but with ATI at $80 and ACE at $180, it may be worth the trouble. I curious if there is any thing else like the ACE stock on the market for less. As far as ninja moves, I've always been more of an aikido kind of guy.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have some similar questions.

I'm also getting my ducks in a row for the pistol grip conversion but I am a little unclear about what kind of stock to use.

Will any most any of the common ak stamped reciever stocks work with pistol grip, I've watched some videos where they had to do some cutting of the stock, and another where they just popped it in and drilled two holes in.

I mainly have my eye on the ati folding collapsable

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=421

Budget is an issue but also the less drilling/cutting/grinding, the less I can screw up.

Thanks love the site and all the helpful contributers.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have some similar questions.

I'm also getting my ducks in a row for the pistol grip conversion but I am a little unclear about what kind of stock to use.

Will any most any of the common ak stamped reciever stocks work with pistol grip, I've watched some videos where they had to do some cutting of the stock, and another where they just popped it in and drilled two holes in.

I mainly have my eye on the ati folding collapsable

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=421

Budget is an issue but also the less drilling/cutting/grinding, the less I can screw up.

Thanks love the site and all the helpful contributers.

Any standard Kalashnikov butt stock is a direct exchange for the factory Saiga stock.

You probably should go back and look at your videos, as they may be installing an Ace "cut the dang tang" stock block. This is decidely NON-standard.

To the OP:

Navy87Guy here did this with his Saiga (top is the factory humdrum, and the bottom two are "after"):

Saiga_before_after.jpg

Your can read more about it at Navy87Guy's website

Ok thanks alot. I think I'm ready to start hacking up my perfectly good rifle.

Thanks also for the pics and link, thats pretty much exactly how I'd like mine to look.

I'll give all credit to navyguy of course.

No problem taking over the tread. Sharing of knowledge and what not. The site link was pretty informative. If I am understanding what nalioth is saying, if the conversion is done then the Saiga can take any AK variety stock. I'm kind of interested in the ACE M4 folding stock. The $180 is still kind of pricey and I'll still need to add at least one or two more parts (stock, grip, stock recoil pad as 3 parts) so a US made forend and gas piston. (I think?). If I do the conversion and move the FCG forward, I'd still have to do the compliance bit, but could use the ATI adjustable/folding stock ($80 approx). I could get compliance with 2 parts from stock, 1 from pistol grip, one from gas piston, and one from another part traded out from the FCG?

Any one with thoughts on the ATI stock and the ACE stock also?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Ace modstocks are solid. If you decide to "cut the dang tang", you have several options:

1: Ace internal receiver block. I've got this on my S12 and it's very strong. If you mount a pig nose adapter and AR buffer tube it will go straight back parallel to the gun barrel.

2: Tromix weld-on backing plate. This gives you the additional option of cutting the rear of the receiver at a 1.5 degree slant if you want. That will angle your buffer tube parallel to the bottom edge of the receiver, with a little more drop. IMHO this angle is ideal for the ACE skeleton and Tromix stocks, but makes an AR stock look weird and droopy.

Both the backing plate and internal block accept the same hardware-- side folder assemblies and/or AR pignose adapters. I can't speak for the strength of the ace sidefolder, but their received block and pignose are sturdy enough for serious buttstrokes.