Conversion Questions

Ive got my saiga 20 all striped down to the bare essentials now and have a few questions before i move on.

1) First off i wanna say you guys arent kidding when you say saigas are made out of some hard a$$ shite. I cant find bits that will go through the reciever, only ones that will go through the rivets and whatever else. What do you use?

2) What do you guys use to fill the holes in the bottom of the reciever?

3) What end of the trigger guard do you put towards the mag release? The side we cut or the uncut side? What do you use to hold it in? Do you put the nut on the mag release side on the inside?

4) It doesnt seem like the hole for the pistol grip lines up with the hole in the receiver. Do i need to trim the hole? Am i useing the right hole. It looks like its supposed to use the old trigger hole. Useing a saw grip It also doesnt seem like the scew it came with is long enough either.

Im tired and may just need to look at all of this tomorrow.

excuse the spelling please

Thanks, Josh

1. they are hard steel. the craftsman cobalt bits at sears(or any other cobalts i guess) work really well for this.

2. the holes? ive reused the hole behind the trigger group to reattach the trigger guard, and the other larger cut out is covered by the pistol grip.

3.the cut side goes toward the rear of the receiver. and the front tab gets a new hole drilled through it and the receiver in front of the safety stop. then they get riveted w/1/8" steel pop rivets with a steel washer on the inside. a coat of krylon bbq paint makes everything look factory. the nut and bolt method just looks ugly.

4. i had to make a new hole for the pg nut behind the trigger guard (never did a s-20, but 5= saiga 12s and a .308)

post or pm me if you need any help.

I used a dremel with a hardened steel cutting bit to remove the tack weld, and a cutting wheel to grind away the rivet heads.

after removal of the trigger guard, you can then take out the last rived located under it.

once you pop off the plate on the receiver, I then flush grind the three rivet heads to the receiver, then tap them out with a small punch and tack hammer. leaving three holes in the receiver.

I ROTATE the trigger housing 180 when I reinstall, I like the angle of it better this way, personally... slide the front under the mag release, and use a SHORT self tapping black headed screw to screw the housing back thru the hole just behind the trigger. It will stick up inside, but be short enough the safety does not touch it.

I use 7/32 e-clips ( or was it 5/32 I forget now.... whichever ones it was that FIT PERFECTLY) to hold the FCG retainer pins, and black nylon hole plugs to fill the rivet holes from the OLD pins that held the old trigger.

I did NOT USE A PG on my mods, I used thumbhole stocks, so they cover up a LOT of the back of the receiver.

hope any of that helps....

:smoke:

When drilling steel a little oil goes a long way.

When using a regular AK grip you have to cut the hole out for the grip screw base but from what I've read about the Saw grip you can use the old trigger hole and since it has a smaller screw that goes down through the rec. and top of the grip you don't have to cut a hole for it.

Well the hole is cut so i hope i didnt just throw my s-20 in the trash. I couldnt see how the bolt they sent me could work without haveing a pg nut (legnth and position). so i used the measurements from the sheik and a hole i have now. Now i need to go to the vegas gun show and see if i can buy me a nut, that should be quicker than ordering one.

What size rivets do you guys use and where do you get them? The idea of useing a self tapping screw was brillient. To bad i already have drilled a hole. Now i cant really see a way to rivet or put a screw with a nut on it. The only thing i can think of is to have someone weld it or use a slightly larger than 3/16 metal scew and see if it grabs the metal good. What about the grinding that needs to takle place? What needs it and how much? Thanks