Broken Tap Installing Guide

:cryss: So I got my guide from Dinzag and went about installing the hell out of it.... first problem was I never tapped anything so I think I over stressed it and it broke in my gun... shitting a brick I got to thinkin.... maybe the tap was made from crappy medal... so I took the auto punch and went at the broken tap in the hole and after a couple punches it split the tap and it fell out!!!! yay!!!!

so then i started to tap again.... and it busted again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!! so did the same thing and with the the 1/4" of tap left I finished tapping the hole.....geez so nobody shit a brick if it happens to you... get the auto punch rockin and have at it.

Install turned out just fine and now I can say I know how to tap some what okay... :ph34r:

plan to epoxy the bolt and guide after I verify everything works.

Also if anyone is in McHenry County, IL and needs a broken tap, tap holder, and auto punch to use let me know

No need to epoxy. A little LockTite on the threads will usually be plenty. If you want to epoxy, go for it, it'll definately never move, but I've fired thousands of rounds thru a LockTited guide and never had a problem. A friend of mine didin't have LockTite so he used his daughters nail polish instead and his Saiga conversion has held up after years of use.

The steel used is insanely hard. I used a machine shop tap (really really expensive) and only did a 1/8 turn before backing it up to let the chips fall out and using a lot of oil.. Maybe 15 mins just to tap it, normally I just chuck a tap into my old brace and bit and run it through in 30 secs.

+1 on the locktite it does a good job.

Edited by csspecs

Don't forget to use threading oil as you're cutting the threads. Turn it 1/8 -1/4 turn, back it out, clean the shavings, oil it, and do it another 1/8 - 1/4 turn and repeat the process until you either have enough threads or run out of hole.... Take your time, go easy - it's not like the first time you got laid. Lol.

Edited by gothchick
Don't forget to use threading oil as you're cutting the threads. Turn it 1/8 -1/4 turn, back it out, clean the shavings, oil it, and do it another 1/8 - 1/4 turn and repeat the process until you either have enough threads or run out of hole.... Take your time, go easy - it's not like the first time you got laid. Lol.

+1 on that. Don't spare the oil and lots of backing out and turning again.

Thanks for posting this! I have my guide from dinzag and was worried something like this would happen. My friend and I were looking to use a drill press first then tap. Did you use a hand drill or press? I did the converstion to the FCG and know that russian steel is no joke.

Thanks for posting this! I have my guide from dinzag and was worried something like this would happen. My friend and I were looking to use a drill press first then tap. Did you use a hand drill or press? I did the converstion to the FCG and know that russian steel is no joke.

I don't have a press, so used a hand drill and vise. Just go slow and make sure you have plenty of light to work with.

+1 on HARD steel in the Saiga! I noticed it tapping for the bullet guide, drilling out welds on trigger guard, and threading the end of the barrel for a breake after cutting back the shroud. It has been speculated on this forum before that they are using melted down German tanks left behind after WW2! While I doubt that, the stuff sure is hard. Maybe that's why Saigas last forever.

LOL!

Told ya bud! I don't want to have an accident drilling & tapping your Trunion. We'll get it done right as soon as I get all the proper tools together. ;)

Edited by NSR500