New-in-box, never fired .223 ?? Should I buy it?

Hello all, thanks for your help. I've owned four 7.62 Saiga's and one .308 but have never owned a .223. I have an oppurtunity to get one at a decent price. A local gunowner bought one a few years ago and never fired it. Box and all is in the safe. He's asking $375 cash or $200 cash and my 700-round spam can of Romanian HotShot ammo that I bought last year.

If this were a 7.62 gun, it'd be a no-brainer, I'd already have the gun here. But, I know nothing about .223's. Reading about them here, I see there is some kind of brass destroying ring on the bolt, and there are mag issues. Is there anything else funky about the .223's I ned to know about? I intend to immediately convert the gun so besides needing furniture, will my usual 7.62 conversion parts work like a Tapco G2 single hook trigger, Tapco retaining plate, Tapco PG nut and screw, and Dinzags trigger guard kit.

Do I need a bullet guide? Is there an easy to find, easy to use mag out there or should I stick to SureFire mags for now.

Is anyone making a magwell adaptor to allow use of AR-15 mags?

Is anyone using AK74 mags and changing the followers and if so, where do I find the followers?

I have so many .223 questions. Is the gun worth the investment. I don't own any .223 ammo, I'd have to get some to test the gun with but unless I absolutely LOVE the thing, will probably sell it after the test and keep my 7.62's. Should I bother? What are converted .223's going for these days?

The price seems pretty good to me. They are not even available right now in my area. I have reloaded brass fired from my .223 Saiga with no problems. I did do the door edge molding cure to stop denting the brass. I installed the Magnolia State Armory AR-15 Adapter to accept standard Ar-15 mags which are readily available. It works especially well with Magpul P-mags. No bullet guide needed.

I just paid $450 OTD last month on my BNIB unconverted .223 so yeah you are looking at a great deal!

The cost of my conversion was as follows:

Tapco FCG $30

Tapco AK stock $30

Tapco SAW grip $30

3 Surefire mags $150

Tapco retainer $10

I happened to have a grip nut already, and all prices are rounded up, should cover shipping.

Edited by hobbyshooter