Hammer pin rides out (post conversion)

I just finished my PGC on my saiga 12. Waiting for the stock and grip now. Everything else is done. However, I am having a problem that my pin holding the hammer in place rides out slowly shot after shot. Has anyone encountered this problem? I looked in the archives and came up empty handed. Did I make a mistake somewhere along the way in my conversion?

-Paul

The hammer and trigger pins have a slot in them right alongside the inside wall of the receiver. There is supposed to be a wire retaining spring there locking into those grooves to keep them from walking out.

The hammer and trigger pins have a slot in them right alongside the inside wall of the receiver. There is supposed to be a wire retaining spring there locking into those grooves to keep them from walking out.

Ok. I have a retaining plate, but it was partly blocking the hole... and so I dremeled it out...

... :unsure:

... so I take it that the real answer is I need a replacement... because I screwed up. I was bound to make a mistake. :wacko:

Edited by pfmedic

Ok. I have a retaining plate, but it was partly blocking the hole... and so I dremeled it out...

... so I take it that the real answer is I need a replacement... because I screwed up. I was bound to make a mistake. :wacko:

It's supposed to partially block the hole, that's how it retains the axles in place. You fit the pins in ALL the way, then slide the retainer into the channel of the hammer axle, then down into the channel of the trigger axle, then push the safety through the solid hole in the back of the retainer.

At least it was only a $10 mistake.

...Ok. I have a retaining plate, but it was partly blocking the hole... and so I dremeled it out...

Huh? Which hole?

The hole where the hammer pin has to go. it was partially blocked by the retaining pin

It's supposed to partially block the hole, that's how it retains the axles in place. You fit the pins in ALL the way, then slide the retainer into the channel of the hammer axle, then down into the channel of the trigger axle, then push the safety through the solid hole in the back of the retainer.

At least it was only a $10 mistake.

You're right. Could have been worse. Im juat glad that I dont have to take the whole thing apart again to fix it... although I am getting very proficient at that. :P

Edited by pfmedic

The stock retainer plates do not fit in the S-12 and function without mods. If you would be interested in one that has been modified for the S-12, test fitted in mine, and is guaranteed to work, let me know. I sell those all the time.

I'm still not sure what you mean by the retainer plate blocking the hole....once you insert the hammer pin it should be the only thing blocking the hole.

You put both pins, or axles, in all the way til the small end is flush with the outside of the receiver on the RT.

Look at the pins where they are first coming through the L inside wall of the receiver.

There are slots, or grooves, cut in the pins there.

The plate must be inserted into those grooves, hammer first, then trigger as you rotate it down.

Follow the instructions that came with the plate.

Then last, the rear hole is supposed to line up with the hole for the end of the safety selector.

This is where you will run into just one of the probs with the S-12. The selector hole doesn't line up because it won't rotate down far enough without enlarging the trigger pin notch.

Then even if you do get that to line up, and the selector in, the bolt carrier will not clear the top of the retainer plate when trying to cycle.

Almost sounds like he was trying to insert the axis pins AFTER the retainer was in.

Installation should go:

Insert hammer, insert BHO, insert trigger, insert axis pins, flip spring legs up, insert retainer, insert safety lever. Or something along those lines. The last 2 steps are definitely the last 2 steps.

If you need something to work fast, you can always go to the local hardware store and pick up a couple of hitch pins to the job. In the long run the plate is much better but if you need to shoot while waiting on the plate, use the hitch pins. It will cost you less than a buck.

Almost sounds like he was trying to insert the axis pins AFTER the retainer was in.

Installation should go:

Insert hammer, insert BHO, insert trigger, insert axis pins, flip spring legs up, insert retainer, insert safety lever. Or something along those lines. The last 2 steps are definitely the last 2 steps.

I was... because I couldn't get the damned safety in with the BHO in position.... only with it out of the retaining pin. When I got my replacement plate, I took some material off the top of the BHO and the safety and had no problems. I was hoping not to have to do that but its the way it had to be.