Ruh roh- 7.62x39 hammer pin walked out

I recently had my rifle converted to a pistol grip, and I put 5 rounds down range before the hammer pin came loose with a live round in the chamber. I've never heard of this happening with an AK. Is this something that should be easily fixed?

I will say that the first 5 rounds show very nice accuracy and I should never have any extraction issues with the 20' that the casings were being launched.

post-9045-1242315125_thumb.jpg

Sounds like the person who did the conversion did not put in, or improperly installed the pin retaining wire (AKA, "shepherds crook"). I would just order an AK pin retaining plate and solve the issue for good. The pin retainer plate takes a few seconds to install and is far superior to the wire.

Re-align everything and then make sure that the shepherd's crook or shepherd's crook replacement is in the groove of the hammer pin.

I use the shepherd's crook replacement. To check to see if it's in the hammer pin grove I try to push the pin out with the piece installed, if it doesn't move, it's in the grove, and should not walk out.

SCRlever.jpg

i would get at least some of your money back.. there is NO excuse for that... or at least have them buy you the AK retaining plate for your troubles... its far better than any of the other ways to hold those pins in.. and its very cheap.. like $12

Thanks all. I'll see what I can do about some form of compensation. This wasn't a fast turnaround time and wasn't exactly cheap.

for the sake of sparing anyone else the hassle of dealing with whoever did that to you.. you might want to go ahead and name the shop just so others can stay away..

I've done multiple builds and I can never get the wires in right, I don't like them and I don't trust them. I always use the retaining plate, is far superior and very easy to install. Both Dinzag and DPH Arms have them in stock. They're an excellent investment and I highly recommend one.

Thanks all. I'll see what I can do about some form of compensation. This wasn't a fast turnaround time and wasn't exactly cheap.

for the sake of sparing anyone else the hassle of dealing with whoever did that to you.. you might want to go ahead and name the shop just so others can stay away..

Yeah, good point. Installing the shepherd's crook ain't cake, but it's not that difficult either.. and the very least whoever converted it should have done was cycle the triggergroup a few times, which would have brought the problem to light.

Yeah, good point. Installing the shepherd's crook ain't cake, but it's not that difficult either.. and the very least whoever converted it should have done was cycle the triggergroup a few times, which would have brought the problem to light.

its an acceptable mistake on your OWN build.. not acceptable when you pay someone.. imo.. lol Now with that said anything COULD happen.. but i KNOW that on the rifles ive converted.. they are cycled pretty aggressively to be as sure as can be that this will not happen..