Conversion Parts List

Well...I've had my Saiga for about a week, and after swearing I would never convert it...I've decided to convert it.

I've done a TON of reading. I think I have the procedure down pat. The only problem I am having is in deciding what to order.

1) From what I've read, the Tromix G2 FCG is best since it's modified to accommodate the BHO (as opposed to the Tapco which I would have to grind down).

2) I need a trigger guard kit. I probably wont try to re-use mine, but is there a big difference between using the one with the integrated pistol grip screw built in as opposed to the one where the pistol grip gets mounted directly to the receiver?

3) Is there a big difference between a SAW pistol grip and a standard AK grip?

4) If I wanted to keep the factory stock for now, and maybe add a folding stock later, would that influence what I'm doing with the conversion now? I'm assuming the factory stock can be changed over at any time by just unscrewing it...

5) What else do I need for a trouble free installation? How about those rivet hole plugs? Should I buy one of those "25% reduced power mainsprings"? Am I missing anything?

As always, thanks for the help and feedback.

Parts you need:

1) Trigger group (G2 is the standard and does require minor mods or buy one already tweaked)

2) Shepherd's crook or Krebs Custom type plate (get the shotgun one if you're doing a shotty)

3) Disconnect spring (you can grab one from your old trigger group, but it's easier to get a new one)

4) Grip nut/bushing (Tapco make one that comes with a full length AK grip screw for about $10; if you go with some of the trigger guards (Tromix or Saigatech), they will have one of these built in)

5) Stock of some sort (I've never tried a factory stock with a converted gun, but it doesn't look like it'd be comfortable; I'm partial to the ACE skeleton with folder mech)

6) Grip (lots of choices, but I'm partial to the ACE galil and the Ergo)

I'm probably forgetting something, but that will cover most of what you need to do a basic and legal conversion.

Jake

Well...I've had my Saiga for about a week, and after swearing I would never convert it...I've decided to convert it.

I've done a TON of reading. I think I have the procedure down pat. The only problem I am having is in deciding what to order.

1) From what I've read, the Tromix G2 FCG is best since it's modified to accommodate the BHO (as opposed to the Tapco which I would have to grind down).

2) I need a trigger guard kit. I probably wont try to re-use mine, but is there a big difference between using the one with the integrated pistol grip screw built in as opposed to the one where the pistol grip gets mounted directly to the receiver?

Tromix DIY trigger guard

3) Is there a big difference between a SAW pistol grip and a standard AK grip?

IMO, yes... Go with the SAW.

4) If I wanted to keep the factory stock for now, and maybe add a folding stock later, would that influence what I'm doing with the conversion now? I'm assuming the factory stock can be changed over at any time by just unscrewing it...

Correct, changed out easily, changes little except parts count, some folks convert with a standard stock.

5) What else do I need for a trouble free installation? How about those rivet hole plugs? Should I buy one of those "25% reduced power mainsprings"? Am I missing anything?

Rivet hole plugs... If ya like, purely aesthetic.

-25%, only if ya plan on shooting alot of low brass.

As always, thanks for the help and feedback.

I have installed the following US made parts.

1) TAPCO AK T6 Buttstock, six position collapsible.

2) Surefire Gen 1, tri-rail forearm.

3) SAW pistol grip.

4) Tromix FCG.

5) Tromix trigger guard.

6) Chaos gas piston (gas puck). *** Chucked the POS and got a KA puck... Much better.***

7) TAPCO gas piston (operating rod)

8 ) Gunfixer gas plug

9) Kreb's Custom, combat sights, FSB uses AR post, rear is a ghost ring with aperture insert.

10) TAPCO M4 rubber recoil pad

11) MD Arms, 20rnd drum magazine (pictured)

12) Surefire, 2, 8, 10 & 12 rnd stick magazines.

Thanks for the help!

I'm starting to search for parts and place orders, and it's amazing how many companies are producing parts for these guns. I just got my Gunfixer plug (not a conversion part, but just something that I figured would make the gun fire low brass better) and it's phenomenal. Once you find the right setting for your ammo, the gun cycles like a champ with all loads.

Oh...and bump for any other suggestions...

billyjoebob, Thanks for posting this.

I was about to post that exact question, then found your thread, that already had answers!

I recently purchased a Saiga 12(the MD20 drum is on the way w00t!!), and can't resist the temptation to do the conversion on it. I've seen a few videos, and it appears to be super easy as long as you are careful and pay attention to what you are doing.

However, one thing that wasn't clear to me is EXACTLY which parts I would need to do it.

This thread looks like it's going to be very helpful to folks like us that are getting started.

These boards are a great resource for owners of the Saiga firearms! It's great to be here!! :)

These boards are a great resource for owners of the Saiga firearms! It's great to be here!! :)

I found the Saiga 12 through this forum, and I'm sure the members here will save me hundreds of hours of research and labor when I finally pull the trigger and do the conversion.