GAS Tube Removal 7.62x39

Last evening I field stripped the rifle for cleaning but could not remove the gas tube after opening the latch on the sight bed. I tried every different angle with the lever and still could not remove the gas tube. Anyone know how to remove the gas tube without destroying the rifle or its parts? Any help is appreciated.

Last evening I field stripped the rifle for cleaning but could not remove the gas tube after opening the latch on the sight bed. I tried every different angle with the lever and still could not remove the gas tube. Anyone know how to remove the gas tube without destroying the rifle or its parts? Any help is appreciated.

Ok.. rotate the gas tube lever up until the plane is even, (which allows removal), and if you cannot remove the rear of the gas tube manually, use a zip-tie for mechanical assistance, (this eliminates the possibility of damaging your gas tube/upper handguard during removal).

I had this problem with my SGL20, (gas tubes on these are typcially very tight), until I came up with the above solution.

Sometimes one forgets to remove the bolt carrier before trying to remove the gas tube.

lol Yeah I assumed that he hadn't made that simple, boneheaded mistake. :lol:

Gas tube removal is last.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Ok.. rotate the gas tube lever up until the plane is even, (which allows removal), and if you cannot remove the rear of the gas tube manually, use a zip-tie for mechanical assistance, (this eliminates the possibility of damaging your gas tube/upper handguard during removal).

I had this problem with my SGL20, (gas tubes on these are typcially very tight), until I came up with the above solution.

I appreciate the zip tie suggestion.

Sometimes one forgets to remove the bolt carrier before trying to remove the gas tube.

I am so guilty of that one!!! I almost destroyed my beloved 308 this way and mind you - I owned it for a year at that point and could disassemble it blindfolded, was just screwing around with the tri-rail from DPH and needed to take the gas tube off blah blah blah Once I figured out I didn't take the bolt carrier off I laughed myself silly.

I followed step by step disassembly instructions and pictures/video and the gas tube still would not lift out by hand pressure. surplusrifle.com has excellent resources for military type rifles as well as Youtube.

The zip tie suggestion makes good sense to me.