Noob questions;slings and slug setting

Hi guys.

I'm new here, just bought my first AK style long gun, a modified Saiga 12. It has a K-Var folder with Ace stock, pistol grip with trigger relocated, H&K MP5 style sights, 18" barrel, refinished, and safety cut to act as a bolt hold open.

My first question is about slings. My shotgun has a front sling swivel, but because of the folding stock, no rear swivel. Does anyone know how to mount a rear sling swivel? Or is there a sling that has a swivel attachment at one end and a perhaps Velcro universal type loop at the other?

Second question: I'm confused about gas setting. I have 4 mags, 3 AGC 10 rounders and one factory 5 rounder, with a 2 rounder (for hunting) on order here.

I want to keep 1 10 round mag loaded with slugs, 2 10 rounders with 00 Buck, and the 5 rounder with 7-1/2 birdshot. Do I have to change the setting to #1 shoot the slugs, or can I use the #2 setting without beating up the gun? The loads are Federal "Classic" 2-3/4" 1 oz rifled slugs, S&B 2-3/4" 00 Buck, and Federal "Multi-Purpose" 2-3/4" 1-1/8 oz #7-1/2 shot, 3 dram equivalent. I'd like to be able to use one setting for all three loads, but am concerned about beating the gun up with the slugs. Having to change the setting to suit either 00 Buck, slugs, or birdshot (for inside the house use) in a self-defense sitation is not conducive to long life (for me).

Suggestions?

I have a buffer on order from this site.

Thanks for any help.

George

StarPD

The gun may not cycle correctly with the buffer.

Yes, it will damage the gun over time using the #2 gas setting for slugs.

There are pics of the damage in this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...st&p=296507

Get a Gunfixer gas plug so it's easier to change the setting for the current load.

If you want to keep the gas setting on light for slugs and bird shot (some people have to do this for 3 gun matches) you want to try some reduced recoil slugs.

My '08 4 port gun would cycle 7-1/2 federal bird shot on setting 1 & 2, but would FTE S&B 1 oz slugs on setting 1 every time. #8 bird shot would FTE the majority of the time on setting 1.

The gun may not cycle correctly with the buffer.

Yes, it will damage the gun over time using the #2 gas setting for slugs.

There are pics of the damage in this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...st&p=296507

Get a Gunfixer gas plug so it's easier to change the setting for the current load.

Okay, thanks.

Do you have a source for a "Gunfixer" gas plug, and can I install it easily, or should I let my gunsmith do it?

Sure, no problem.

Post a pic of your modified S12 when you get a chance.

We are all addicted to gun pr0n around here. :)

Will do.

Just picked it up today, been playing with it too much to take pix so far.

I'll shoot some photos tomorrow and see if I can post them.

It sure is purty.

GEORGE!

Welcome to the board! Good to see you here, and with a Saiga12 too! :D

Thanks Azrial.

Good to see a friendly face here. As you well know, I think you've always been one of the good guys, and I'm glad to learn you're here.

Haven't shot my S12 yet. Picked it up from gunplumber yesterday, along with 3 10 round AGS mags and one factory 5 rounder. I have on order a 2 round mag for hunting, and a buffer. Today I'm ordering a Gunfixr gas adjuster so I can change from dove loads to 00 Buck to slugs without needing a tool or three hands. Next I need a sling that I can make work with only a front sling swivel. I'll have to cobble up something to attach the sling at the rear, since there is none there. It has a folding K-Var setup with an Ace buttstock, and no one here seems to have any suggestions.

Funny thing is I fell in love with the Saiga when I spotted it sitting in a rack last time I was out to visit Mark. Naturally, I had to have it. Now I can't even shoot it for another year and a quarter, thanks to my triple bypass, and the need to wait for my sternum to fuse completely. I guess I'll have to have one of my sons or a friend break it in for me and zero the MP5 style sights. I'm really looking forward to shooting it though. In the meantime, I think I'll accumulate ammo, just like I did with my FAL and AR 15, buying a few boxes at a time.

Not sure what kind of slugs will be most effective and work in the Saiga. I'm thinking of Brenneke. Any suggestions?

I'll restrict my ammo to 2-3/4" shells regardless of shot/slug, and no magnum loads. In my opinionated book, a 12 gauge doesn't really need magnum loads, and they are more likely to beat up the gun and the shooter unncecessarily.

Take care, Azrial.

Take care.

It takes all of 30 seconds to do yourself.

Much better than the stock part.

http://www.mdarms.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1724

I wanted to buy one, so I went to their web site and began the ordering process. When I got to the shipping part, they wanted $14.18 for one very small and light $35 part. What a ripoff!.

That's not just outrageous, it's an insult to my intelligence. I cancelled the order, and E-mailed them that I would have purchased a "Gunfixr" gas plug from them, but their poor business practices cost them a customer.

I think that regardless of how good the "Gunfixr" gas plug is, anyone who allows themselves to be screwed over by an unscrupulous vendor is only encouring such behavior.

StarPD,

Welcome to Saigamadness :)

It's great you know Mark AKA Gunplumber. He's a Rascal but the best damn AK Smith in the Southwest.

Don't go too hard on MD Arms. The shipping charge HAD to be a fluke. Mike Davidson is good people. He GAVE a Gunfxr gas knob to EVERY first run customer.

Edit to add and I quote from www.MDarms.com;

Please Note: The numbers marks won't be filled with white like in the picture posted. They will have numbers but will be black. Also disregard the shipping total if you place an order that only includes a gas plug. The shipping calculator will be high. Actual shipping cost will be around $4 for a single plug order and will be shipped through the USPS instead of UPS.

Edited by Etek
Good to see a friendly face here.

Great to see you here as well!

The Gunfixr Gasplug is a great product, as Etek has stated the S&H charge is most likely a fluke. Mike is a solid vendor here, I am sorry that you got the wrong impression. On the other had one of our other vendors, CHAOS, has an interesting product that does not offer the multipe gas positions but does offer the advantage of a fast clean out of the gas manifold. It is worth checking out as well. We have enjoyed great support and customer service from both of these vendors and that is the truth. I think that it would be hard to go wrong with either product.

Your rear sling attachment problem could have been most easily solved by using the Ace folding hinge mechanism (SMG Style) that has a hole for a sling swevle predrilled, if yours does not have this hole you might consider having someone drill and tap you a home back there. I think that it the cleanest way to resolve the problem.

When is comes to slugs I also like Brenneke. I have had good luck with them in the past my S12 seems to like them as well.

I am glad to hear that you are on the mend. Your wife was kind enought to write me early during your illness and I have been coming back to FF to check on your progress. It is good to see you back on your feet.

Hey StarPD, Welcome to the club! You might want to try MD Arms again, as I saw the shipping discrepency pointed out as well. They DO state that the shipping charges will be lower than what appears in the box. And, I might add, as long as you are there and spending money, you might as well go ahead and get the 20 rd. drum! LOL. It will be a decision that you will never regret. Just think of all the valuable time you will save on loading the magazines! Of course that will be quickly canceled out by the cost of all the extra shells you will go through, but you will be left with a grin a mile wide that won't easily fade away. I got 2, to save even MORE time on reloading! I had to wait awhile to shoot my S12 as well, I bought it right after I had rotator cuff surgery. The waiting is the hardest part... Good Luck!