Ok, here's the story. I have an 8 inch bbl Tromix S12. Yeah, it's damn sweet and a monster... but here is my problem. All I have at the moment is a bunch or AA hulls and green dot powder. A 'by the book' reload wont even work in my gun... just lacks the power to eject. Now my question is this: Keeping the same powder type (yes I know Unique would be great) is there an adjustment I can make to the charge to safely make the shell powerful enough? Thanks guys! Pics of Vera (had to name her) on request.... lol

What's the "by the book" load that you're using? Need to know the Green Dot charge wt., wad, primer and how much lead you're throwing. There are several books and some show pressures and velocities for a range of charge weights. Some primers give higher pressures than others. But with an 8" barrel, the timing of the pressure peak is probably more critical than the actual peak pressure it reaches in a normal long-barreled shotgun.

Could be that Green Dot is just too slow for an 8" barrel and that the load leaves the barrel before the pressure has ramped up to where it can operate the action. In that case, I'd think that adding more lead to the load might boost early pressures and extend the load-in-barrel time enough to give the pressures time to develop. I've never faced your problem, so you're on your own if you try it.

Bob

Unique and Green dot are not that far apart so I doubt that would help. Look thru the reloading manual and you will find different wads show different pressures, or try loading the hotest 1 1\4 load that might help. With the short barrel it may need a fast powder like Clays. If it works with Remington STS handicap loads Tightgroup is the powder you need as you can duplicate the factory load with it using a Remington TGT wad and 1 1\8 th shot.

Although I have no direct experience with your exact problem. I would recommend you specifically search out loads from your available load data that use Federal wads inside Remington or Winchester hulls. Why? Federal wads and hulls are straight and the other two brands are tapered. When you load a Fed. wad inside either of the two other brand hulls it is an extremely tight fit. This drives pressure up to max very quickly, I personally use such loads for cold (sub-zero) weather because they don't fizzle or squid fire like other loads sometimes will under such conditions. Any such published load you find in a reloading book will almost always have the highest pressure and the load reaches maximum pressure very quickly and the pressure curve has a very pronounced spike which is what I believe you are looking for to cycle that short barreled action.