I recently got the Saiga bug and have been looking to pick up a long barrel Saiga 308 to make into a sniper/marksman rifle. I'm new to this sniper/marksman thing. Bought my first one around February of this year, a PSL and I love it. Only problem I have is that I was told to only use 150gr and lower ammo and its a pain in the a$$ trying to find them. Gun shows usually sell out of them before I get there or the seller doesnt know if they are light or heavy gr.

In 2 weeks there is a gun huge gun show here (Valley Forge Pa) and I was thinking of picking up a Saiga.

Are there a lot of converssion parts for them for a PSL type look and to make it more acurate? Besides the trigger swap.

Butstocks? (found one)

Barrels? Floating? Longer?

Anything else I might have forgoten

Also is there anything I should look for when purchasing one?

One more thing. What would the accuracy compare to when in a sniper config? M14A1, PSL, DPMS...G3..etc..etc?

Thanks

Arik

Edited by Arik
I recently got the Saiga bug and have been looking to pick up a long barrel Saiga 308 to make into a sniper/marksman rifle. I'm new to this sniper/marksman thing. Bought my first one around February of this year, a PSL and I love it. Only problem I have is that I was told to only use 150gr and lower ammo and its a pain in the a$$ trying to find them. Gun shows usually sell out of them before I get there or the seller doesnt know if they are light or heavy gr.

In 2 weeks there is a gun huge gun show here (Valley Forge Pa) and I was thinking of picking up a Saiga.

Are there a lot of converssion parts for them for a PSL type look and to make it more acurate? Besides the trigger swap.

Butstocks? (found one)

One more thing. What would the accuracy compare to when in a sniper config? M14A1, PSL, DPMS...G3..etc..etc?

Thanks

Arik

Welcome,, to the world of Saigas..

I recently got the Saiga bug and have been looking to pick up a long barrel Saiga 308 to make into a sniper/marksman rifle. I'm new to this sniper/marksman thing. Bought my first one around February of this year, a PSL and I love it. Only problem I have is that I was told to only use 150gr and lower ammo and its a pain in the a$ trying to find them. Gun shows usually sell out of them before I get there or the seller doesnt know if they are light or heavy gr.

Butstocks? (found one)

Thanks

Arik

First time hear of light bullet requirement. How about heavy 180+ grain sniper ammo that this rifle was designed for? How about extra heavy armor piercing ammo?

Saiga 308 is recommended to use 150 grain max because of rifling twist, but SVD/PSL are rated for heavy ammo.

And by the way, Tigr would rather be marksman's choice, definitely not Saiga 308

I recently got the Saiga bug and have been looking to pick up a long barrel Saiga 308 to make into a sniper/marksman rifle. I'm new to this sniper/marksman thing. Bought my first one around February of this year, a PSL and I love it. Only problem I have is that I was told to only use 150gr and lower ammo and its a pain in the a$ trying to find them. Gun shows usually sell out of them before I get there or the seller doesnt know if they are light or heavy gr.

Butstocks? (found one)

Thanks

Arik

First time hear of light bullet requirement. How about heavy 180+ grain sniper ammo that this rifle was designed for? How about extra heavy armor piercing ammo?

Saiga 308 is recommended to use 150 grain max because of rifling twist, but SVD/PSL are rated for heavy ammo.

And by the way, Tigr would rather be marksman's choice, definitely not Saiga 308

I'm not sure about the SVT or the Tiger but what I was told is that heavy ball for the PSL is a big no no! Supposedly it will mess up the gun. This is what I was told on the PSL forums. I dont know how true it is but I dont want to find out the hard way. If I could afford a Tigr or a real SVD I'd get one. But the idea of customizing one is kool!

Edited by Arik

Butstocks? (found one)

Thanks

Arik

I'm not sure about the SVT or the Tiger but what I was told is that heavy ball for the PSL is a big no no! Supposedly it will mess up the gun. This is what I was told on the PSL forums. I dont know how true it is but I dont want to find out the hard way. If I could afford a Tigr or a real SVD I'd get one. But the idea of customizing one is kool!

These guns have nothing to be messed up. Heavier bullet may lose its stability or fly unexpected trajectory, but thats pretty much the it. My 22" saiga 308 manual has big no-no for anything heavier then 150 grain. I shot 180 grain remington, all kinds of mill surplus, all kinds of russian ammo, and they all do just as good in terms of functionality. Accuracy is whole different story

Never had a problem with heavy ball in a PSL. I had one for about 6 months, put more than 1k rounds of heavy stuff (mostly 174gr if I recall correctly) and another 880 rounds of Bulgarian light ball through it, and the gun never had a hiccup (though the ammo did, had two duds in the Bulgarian surplus; multiple primer strikes, no boom).

I don't know if heavy stuff is supposed to be rough on the rifling or something, maybe there is a reason to avoid it. That being said, nobody told me anything and the weapon functioned flawlessly regardless.

Ok so it took me some time to find it but here is where I heard about the "Light ball only" for PSL.

http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&...79&t=119111

"What ever you get, just make sure it is in the 150gr bullet weight range. Heavier bullets will cause the action to batter the bolt carrier against the stop and actually stretch the receiver in fairly short order."

"The issue with heavy ball is that the gas system isn't tuned for the higher pressures, so it ends up beating the crap out of the receiver, potentially causing damage in the long run. Loading heavier rounds with lighter charges may be just fine though."

Other sites say the same things