Range report: 1st with 24mm AK103 brake

Wow, I love this weapon! The 24mm AK103 brake worked awesome! With the three offset holes on the top and side of the "can", there was virtually no climb. It was not nearly as loud as the AMD65 brake, either. As it was dusk, I was surprised how small the flash signature was also. Maybe half the size of a tennis ball. That was WAY less than the old slant brakes or the AMD 65 brake also. Probably the gases burning off more efficiently in the can. No fireball at all. It was exceptionally pleasant to shoot with the AK103 brake.

As for the shooting, it was getting dusk and the light down by my creek was about 50% or less, making target sight picture difficult. I did manage several 1 inch, 4 shot groups with the Silver Bear, however, despite the dimming light. As for the sights (since I replaced the FSB), it was dead on horizontal, and I had to drop the POA 1/2 turn vertical. The trick with the carpenter's square to true the FSB when I installed it must have worked. With the drum and front sight dead center in the FSB, center of POA was within 1/8 to 1/4" of dead center at 25 yards. I may deal with that when I shoot with better light, but I doubt it. I also did some off hand shots at about 50 yards, and never missed a rock (my bad)or dirt clod, despite the dimming light.

Lastly, a word about the K-VAR Russian AK 103 style Handguard I got from Dinzag. It has a stainless steel heat shield liner, and boy it works WELL! I ended up shooting about 200 rounds, and it was deceptively cool. I say deceptively, because I allowed my hand to drift forward while carrying it, and the barrel went "sizzle" on my finger.

Wow, I love this weapon! The 24mm AK103 brake worked awesome! With the three offset holes on the top and side of the "can", there was virtually no climb. It was not nearly as loud as the AMD65 brake, either. As it was dusk, I was surprised how small the flash signature was also. Maybe half the size of a tennis ball. That was WAY less than the old slant brakes or the AMD 65 brake also. Probably the gases burning off more efficiently in the can. No fireball at all. It was exceptionally pleasant to shoot with the AK103 brake.

As for the shooting, it was getting dusk and the light down by my creek was about 50% or less, making target sight picture difficult. I did manage several 1 inch, 4 shot groups with the Silver Bear, however, despite the dimming light. As for the sights (since I replaced the FSB), it was dead on horizontal, and I had to drop the POA 1/2 turn vertical. The trick with the carpenter's square to true the FSB when I installed it must have worked. With the drum and front sight dead center in the FSB, center of POA was within 1/8 to 1/4" of dead center at 25 yards. I may deal with that when I shoot with better light, but I doubt it. I also did some off hand shots at about 50 yards, and never missed a rock (my bad)or dirt clod, despite the dimming light.

Lastly, a word about the K-VAR Russian AK 103 style Handguard I got from Dinzag. It has a stainless steel heat shield liner, and boy it works WELL! I ended up shooting about 200 rounds, and it was deceptively cool. I say deceptively, because I allowed my hand to drift forward while carrying it, and the barrel went "sizzle" on my finger.

I'm glad that inexpensive 74 style brake from combathunting is working out for ya. I think I've mentioned that I have one of those, but I just wasn't satisfied with its construction, so I bought a different, (admittedly much more expensive), one from another company. I now have no use for the one from combathunting, but it does make an interesting paperweight. :D

I agree with ya about the K-var heat-shielded handguard. I've got one on my rifle also and it works very well.. better than I expected.

Your method to align the fsb exactly perpendicular to the barrel/gas block is a very simple technique, but sounds like it's quite effective. Certain "professional" ak builders/vendors could take a lesson from you on this subject, (yes, I'm talking about Century, Lancaster, and in some cases, Arsenal).

Anyway, it sounds like your rifle is runnin great, rangemaster! As I said in the picture thread, she's lookin great, as well. :up:

If you think that's good, you should try a real AK-103 brake... or better yet, a sound suppression device - that will REALLY cut the flash, jump, and bang!

ak103a.jpg

ak103b.jpg

I would love to pick up a real AK103 brake, but I think if even if I found one, I would have to mortgage a grandchild to buy it!

rangemaster, as I think I've mentioned more than once, if you want a "real AK-103 brake", (real as in exactly the same design, but US-made), they're not hard to find, nor are they that expensive.

You can buy one from Krebs for ~$65 or from AK-USA, (ak-103.com), for ~$95. The AK-USA brake is chrome-lined, the Krebs is not. Either one is at least as well-made as anything the Russkies have ever produced.

The AK-USA chromed brake has no Moon cuts.... the Non-chromed version they have, does have these... but I'd rather get a Krebs at that point... My Krebs is very-nice!

You're wrong about that, my friend. The chromed AK-USA brake does indeed have the proper half-moons. The only reason that I bought one over a Krebs is for the chrome-lining. It's a nice touch but it's hardly absolutely necessary. The Krebs brake is damn nice too and it is a bit less expensive.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
I just looked on the AK-103 site.... Bulgy copy.. Chrome-Line... Look, no moon cuts... The AK74 copy had the cuts but no mention of Chrome lining.

http://ak-103.com/parts.html

I can see why you're confused about this. Their website is not the most informative or well-designed out there.. the brake descriptions are a little inconsistent, some are fully described, some get a 6 word description. This is why I called AK-USA and cleared up all my unanswered questions before ordering one. The brake I have is the 3rd one down on that page, it's shown "in the white", (for some reason). Mine's nicely finished, chrome-lined, and has the half-moons, which are visible in the pic.

If you think that's good, you should try a real AK-103 brake... or better yet, a sound suppression device - that will REALLY cut the flash, jump, and bang!

ak103a.jpg

ak103b.jpg

Damn it Red, you have the best gear bar none. Im gonna need another job to get up to your level bro! One question: is the Magazine Izhmash or One of the Polish copies???

Edited by bigsal
Do they have the AK-74 brake, chrome lined, in .22 cal for the .223? Or only in .30 cal?

I'm asking u because you've asked them questions! :)

Maybe, I'm not sure. That's not one of the questions I asked them. However, I do know that I have a chrome-lined 74 zig-zag brake in 5.56 that I don't need, and it's never been used. I'd be glad to sell it to ya: $45 shipped.

Damn it Red, you have the best gear bar none. Im gonna need another job to get up to your level bro! One question: is the Magazine Izhmash or One of the Polish copies???

Izmash mag, early stlye. Teh later ones look more like a longer version fo the SAIGA mags, actually, but I couldn't find one of those. I've also got some steel Izhevsk marked mags around here as well.

I've actualyl shown this picture a couple of times... but have I shown you my suppressed AKS-74? :devil:

suppressed.jpg