I thought you guys might enjoy seeing this.

I got the Defender cabinet from Rumore; he's had it at the shop for years and decided to get rid of it. I took out the little monitor and installed a 29 incher.

It uses the MAME emulator running on a PC and has over 2000 games loaded - every game you've ever heard of and hundreds that you've never heard of. I'm using a "frontend" program called Hyperspin that organizes the games on a wheel you can browse through and launches them.

I set it up with two sets of controls; 8-way joystick and 6 buttons each which handles 99% of the games. Added a lighted trackball too. It's a nice addition to the gameroom and was a lot of fun to build.

MAME1.jpg

MAME3.jpg

MAME2.jpg

MAME4.jpg

Cool!!!!

I got a bunch of old Namco boards.... no cabnets though...

I used to work for Hippy at the east lasing Pinball Petes....

you need anything... hit me up.. I got people....

Very cool Bob, have always wanted a few old arcade machines. Who doesn't apparently :) Agree on the pinball, would be great, but you'd never hear the end of it. Could play pinball for hours and hours on end.

MAME box, very nice, you get the ROMS off of USENET?

I heard of it, but I dont do newsgroups or torrents.

ahhhh.....mame....piracy at one of its best moments

I resent the implication sir, as I own the roms for all those games!

That is wicked cool! There are 3 pins that I want, but haven't gotten around to getting. !. Haunted House (best pinball game ever IMHO for cool factor) 2. Elvira Scared Stiff and 3. Creature From The Black Lagoon. I even have some parts and manuals, but life keeps getting in the way. lol. A few years ago I almost won an ebay auction in Germany for a KISS pinball machine. It was rare because they wouldn't let them print their name like here in the U.S., the S's looked too much like the Nazi S to them, so it was printed with regular curved S's. Looking back I wonder how much the shipping would have been! I get bored with ebay U.S. and do some shopping worldwide. Can you rig up your set to use the pistols and stuff for the shooter games? Or does that take a special monitor and stuff? I would like to have a House Of The Dead game also.

mame is illegal in itself, i dont buy it bob... :) that chipset is copywritten.........not just the roms.....

come on now, bob, you are wasting your breath on me with this :) :) :)

nice end project, nice follow through, btw....i like. i wanted to do that, myself....kudos to ya

You can get replacement artwork that goes in the back glass off ebay. I bought several differant ones and made boxes out of oak, then mounted christmas lights inside. i left some strands solid and where there were action scene parts had the lights flashing. I used clear plexiglass in front of the art and white translucent behind. I used 1/8" fiber board on the back and drilled holes to use tie-wraps threaded through to hold the lights in place. Then a final layer of the backer board to make everything smooth on the back. Some people mount clocks where the scores would be if the artwork has score windows. I gave one each to my 3 nephews and have 3 I need to finish up here at home.

VERY cool. I figured as this was a unique gun board, that there might be some old schoolers here.....

my hats tipped to you, guys and gals.

nice thread, bob. like, really....

mame is illegal in itself, i dont buy it bob... :) that chipset is copywritten.........not just the roms.....

come on now, bob, you are wasting your breath on me with this :) :) :)

nice end project, nice follow through, btw....i like. i wanted to do that, myself....kudos to ya

There's nothing illegal about MAME, and many of the roms are "abandonded" or PD status. I own the chipsets, what did you think I meant?

its cool bob.

I have an extensive chip collection myself. A couple of my favorites are the two 486 CPUs that had the floating point error on them, that came out of a bankrupt stock brokerage in NYC, and guess what sank them? those flawed chips :) I also have the complete CPU chipset out of the aforementioned super pacman machine, among others. The roms were junk, but they are floating around here someplace too....sold some "perdue" masks and other tooling to the guy who became the first mod chip maker a long time ago, wish I still had that stuff.

Historical data is good data, hard or soft. Long live abandonware!

That's nice Bob! :up: I've been wanting to do that with a custom cabinet for years. Hopefully I'll still feel like it when I get the time . . .

And like DaveM said, you better watch it . . . I have a friend that's about 3-4 years older than me (I'm 28 at the time of this post) that still lives with his parents and plans to NOT move out. They do have a nice house with a pool and a little land, but damn . . . But then, I doubt you're near as much of a push-over as his parents are . . .

its cool bob.

I have an extensive chip collection myself. A couple of my favorites are the two 486 CPUs that had the floating point error on them, that came out of a bankrupt stock brokerage in NYC, and guess what sank them? those flawed chips :) I also have the complete CPU chipset out of the aforementioned super pacman machine, among others. The roms were junk, but they are floating around here someplace too....sold some "perdue" masks and other tooling to the guy who became the first mod chip maker a long time ago, wish I still had that stuff.

Historical data is good data, hard or soft. Long live abandonware!

I've been collecting it for years. Of course I've never dumped my own roms.

I throw away the boards.

Edited by BobAsh
That's nice Bob! :up: I've been wanting to do that with a custom cabinet for years. Hopefully I'll still feel like it when I get the time . . .

And like DaveM said, you better watch it . . . I have a friend that's about 3-4 years older than me (I'm 28 at the time of this post) that still lives with his parents and plans to NOT move out. They do have a nice house with a pool and a little land, but damn . . . But then, I doubt you're near as much of a push-over as his parents are . . .

I've been "planning" it for years, and collecting the stuff. When Tony told me he was clearing out the old Defender game, the project was on. I always wanted one of those super-clean new cabinets but the beat-up old Defender looks pretty cool actually.

I joined the Marines when I was 17...I've already told my boys that's where they're going if they don't come up with a plan of their own.

I've been "planning" it for years, and collecting the stuff. When Tony told me he was clearing out the old Defender game, the project was on. I always wanted one of those super-clean new cabinets but the beat-up old Defender looks pretty cool actually.

I joined the Marines when I was 17...I've already told my boys that's where they're going if they don't come up with a plan of their own.

I wasn't ragging on your cabinet, it's quite nostalgic! I meant I want to make my own with built in cup holders, a larger than normal screen, etc. But I do think the old, REAL arcade cabinets, are cooler overall.

And holy shit!!! I could not even imagine that friend of mine in the Marines . . . Really . . . I'm trying, but I can't! :lolol:

And holy shit again!!! I saw your youtube link, that's pretty crazy! :eek: