TEXAN progressive reloading press...

I was given a Texan 12 gauge progressive press... supposedly it works great... I guess time will tell... but I dont know squat about it, and I have to figure it all out... manuals would be good... I THINK one of the OLD reloading manuals I have has the bushing charts...

Still... if anyone has any clues, I would love to hear them... :up:

:smoke:

Gaddis, that is very possible, I know I have seen bushing data from that company in later manuals...

I was able to get an OLDER reloading manual from the guy I got the press from... it had Texan bushing tables in the back, so I was able to figure some loads out... made up a dozen this afternoon... ounce and an eighth loads of Number 9's... 24 grains of Unique... WAA12 wads... I dont think I had the wad pressure heavy enough, though, as they wanted to sit a little proud after final crimping...

I will adjust that tomorrow and try again... All 12 fired off out of the saiga nicely, ejected about 10 feet to my right... primers looked good... no excessive pressure signs in those... so they all seem to work! LOL :up: I will load up a box to try at trap practice tomorrow night!! LOL See how THAT goes... :up:

Well, for an FYI...

I loaded up a box of 25 of Winchester AA cases with 1 1/8th ounce of #9 shot, 24 grains of Unique, and a WAA12 wad. Adjusted the wad pressure to about 90 pounds, and set the final crimp a touch lower.

Looked good...

I also loaded another box of 25 the same way, but with windjammer wads... ( 8 petals instead of the 4 in the WAA12's)

I tried this box first in the Baikal autoloader... shot a 22 out of 25 at the 16 yard 5 station trap...

There is this one retired, older guy trying to help my other half shoot better, so they tried to pattern the shotgun I just used... it shot to the right for her... I said "Its not the gun, it shoots great for me!" Well, he got all pissy and said "Use MINE and see how many you break!"... So I did... I used HIS shotgun for the other box... that round I got a 19... but I had never shot his gun before... so... go figure... :lol: That shut him right up as thats about the best he ever does, too! LOL :lol:

All the reloads for today shot very well... the windjammers really powdered the clays... One thing, I must clarify, though... I am a *VERY* fast shooter... there is probably about a half second or less from the time I call "pull" and when I am pulling the trigger... Birds are ALWAYS on the rise when I shoot... so a spreader wad with 9's works very well for my particular style of trap shooting... :up:

I also discovered that I have about 4 pounds of WINCHESTER 296 powder... laying around... WORTHLESS except for 44 magnum, 357 magnum, and .410... Looks like I need to get a 410 press and some empty casings and load a couple hundred rounds of 410 for hunting! LOL :up:

• 2 weeks later...
There is this one retired, older guy trying to help my other half shoot better, so they tried to pattern the shotgun I just used... it shot to the right for her... I said "Its not the gun, it shoots great for me!" Well, he got all pissy and said "Use MINE and see how many you break!"... So I did... I used HIS shotgun for the other box... that round I got a 19... but I had never shot his gun before... so... go figure... :lol: That shut him right up as thats about the best he ever does, too! LOL :lol:

Best part of your post. I will say that all the experienced loaders I know have a MEC and the TEXAN's tend to be finicky, but I'm super glad to hear yours works like a charm

It works like a charm, until you forget a stage... and then you have to strip each round.. fix the one you messed up and stick them all back in... in the right spot with the machine at the right handle stroke... and start over... that oops... ( like forgetting to put in a wad, or having a primer miss... ) will cost you about 5 minutes of down time! LOL