S 12 922 compliant vented forends

I've been scanning vendor sites just to see what goodies are available for my converted S 12. At the Tromix site, I found the neatest and coolest (pun intended) practical S-12 vented forend. Now, I personally like the factory forend, but it's not vented to allow for barrel cooling. Tony's is an excellent execution of venting it. But it has one problem. It's only a modified Russian forend, so it doesn't help to meet 922 requirements.

I'd love to see an identical US made one. An option could be to add a second more rear mounted sling swivel so the front one could be removed (keeping the retaining screw), and adding a SHORT section of 1913 rail at the front to mount a tactical light with an optional cover so holding the gun wouldn't abrade the support hand, yet not extend far enough to the rear to interfere with proper hold with the support hand. There would have to be an added barrel clamp to screw the rear sling swivel into and help retain the forend. The original sling swivel screw in front could be used to retain the short rail section. The optional rail for a tac light wouldn't have to be very long, maybe only 1 or 2", just enough to hold a compact tac light, but it should have a reinforcement plate inside of the forend to strengthen it and keep the flashlight from tearing itself (and the rail, possibly the entire forend) loose during rough maneuvers.

Another option might be a US made vented top heat shroud that would keep the shooter from burning his hands when shooting, but would allow cooling air to circulate and cool the barrel. It could attach directly to the new US made vented forend.

For those who are into cosmetics, this would be a really cool looking setup.

Tony's otherwise excellent Russian forend sells for $40. I know I'd pay $80 for a US made vented one with a flashlight rail and a removable plastic rail cover, more for an added top heat shroud.

I hope Tony reads this and gives it consideration.

I know, I've read.... I've just gotta give ya a little hell. I've got a week off comin up next week (unpaid vacation... WOOOOOOO :( )

I'll see if I can't whip ya up a website template or somethin to get ya started if you want.... If my wife doesn't schedule me so tight around the farm that I can't breathe.... you make great stuff and I personally would like to get some of it, so it would jsut make it easier for me to see it all in one place.

now that I think about it, I might be able to put it in a post in your section.... hmmm, PM me if you wanna give that a shot.

I know, I've read.... I've just gotta give ya a little hell. I've got a week off comin up next week (unpaid vacation... WOOOOOOO :( )

I'll see if I can't whip ya up a website template or somethin to get ya started if you want.... If my wife doesn't schedule me so tight around the farm that I can't breathe.... you make great stuff and I personally would like to get some of it, so it would jsut make it easier for me to see it all in one place.

now that I think about it, I might be able to put it in a post in your section.... hmmm, PM me if you wanna give that a shot.

Thank bro I can use all the help I can get. I'll PM you my email address and you can contact me that way about it. I already have a domain name here >> cobrascustoms.com

Just need to get some good pictures together and figure out the best way to organize it all.

Thanks again man.

Shannon

I just learned that Cobra makes exactly the forearm I'm looking for, except it's Russian.

That's okay, as he advised me how to finish making my converted S 12 922 compliant and still use Russian mags.

I'm ordering a PG, handguard, bolt polish package, and barrel shroud (if available) from him as soon as he gets back to me with total price.

For anyone who is interested, Shannon is a great guy to work with, and a huge help. I strongly urge anyone who can use his services or parts to do so.

He deserves our full support.