OK guys, I'm brand new to the forum. Only got my Saiga 12 a week or so ago. As it sits in my safe now, it is still in it's stock hunting configuration. So, I have researched this forum and think I have a firm grasp of 922r, but I want to make sure what I am thinking of adding to my shotgun is compliant and could use your seasoned opinions. I understand you are not the ATF and can't say for sure, but I want you to give me the best opinion you can. I want to add:

• Tapco intrafuse stock with pistol grip
  • A US made magazine (an MD20 drum or a Surefire High Cap magazine)
  • Already have the US made Tapco forearm on the shotgun as this does not make the gun non-922r compliant in and of itself

I believe this would make me compliant. I should point out my gun has a threaded barrel. So, a couple of questions:

1. Even if the US magazines are not in the gun at all times, as long as I don't put the russian mag back in, I am always in compliance correct? Would I need to throw away the russian mag to make sure nobody could construe my having intent to assemble?
  2. This seems to be up for debate, but if I add a US made muzzle device, would this not decrease the russian part count by 1? I would think so given that I am at 14 parts due to having a "muzzle device" on the gun arleady, i.e. the russian thread cover

Again, your help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Saiga shotguns with threaded muzzles have 14 countable parts (the revenuers do not count barrel trunnions as a Saiga shotgun part).

Removing the thread protector reduces the total parts count to 13.

Replacing it with a US made muzzle device brings it back to 14, but the part counts toward 922r compliance (it doesn't count against you)

Instead of smoking your neurons, why not just convert the shotty?

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnecter

Pistol grip

Butt stock

5 US parts and you'll be compliant with any magazine.

You'll also have a more ergonomic and user-friendly shotgun.

Here you go:

922r == 10 or fewer foreign parts

That's all you've got to remember, start with your basic firearm, remove foreign parts, until you have 10-or-fewer remaining. Now, rebuild the firearm with US-made parts.

A "sporting" firearm is in the stock configuration with the standard butt stock, in that configuration, you can use hi-cap magazines. If you want to use a pistol grip, you no longer have a sporting rifle and you MUST follow 922r.

There are at least 5-10 of these threads where nalioth and/or I have replied stating these same things, use search, you'll find them.

Saiga shotguns with threaded muzzles have 14 countable parts (the revenuers do not count barrel trunnions as a Saiga shotgun part).

Removing the thread protector reduces the total parts count to 13.

Replacing it with a US made muzzle device brings it back to 14, but the part counts toward 922r compliance (it doesn't count against you)

Instead of smoking your neurons, why not just convert the shotty?

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnecter

Pistol grip

Butt stock

5 US parts and you'll be compliant with any magazine.

You'll also have a more ergonomic and user-friendly shotgun.

Lol, yeah I hear ya. I am going to have it converted eventually but in the meantime I could still add those parts and be good I think. Thanks for your replies and help.

• 5 months later...

Tex:

I'm in the same position as you.

I have the threaded 12 which I understand starts you at 14 parts (assuming the BATF agent in the lane next to me at the NRA Range got the memo that there is no trunion in the shotty).

I put on a DPH Russian hider/brake copy which gets me 1 US part.

An MD drum/Surefire mag = 3 US.

A Tapco T6 Intrafuse stock/grip gets me 2 US but adds 1 more countable part (grip)

for a total of 6 US parts from 14+1 foreign or 9 foreign parts net. Therefore I'm compliant since 922r kicks in with my evil high cap mag, pistol grip, and flash hider.

But I would need 2 more US countable parts to be able to use my 5-round factory mag again.

Thats the way I see it.

BTW, I love the Intrafuse T6 approach to a quick and dirty pseudo-conversion; and with BATF, DEA, FBI, U.S. Marshalls and others populating the ranges here a few miles from D.C., the last thing I need is a replacement FCG to go full auto on me at the range (= 5 to 7 at Leavenworth).

Edited by SELFDEFENSE

Tex:

I'm in the same position as you.

I have the threaded 12 which I understand starts you at 14 parts (assuming the BATF agent in the lane next to me at the NRA Range got the memo that there is no trunion in the shotty).

I put on a DPH Russian hider/brake copy which gets me 1 US part.

An MD drum/Surefire mag = 3 US.

A Tapco T6 Intrafuse stock/grip gets me 2 US but adds 1 more countable part (grip)

for a total of 6 US parts from 14+1 foreign or 9 foreign parts net. Therefore I'm compliant since 922r kicks in with my evil high cap mag, pistol grip, and flash hider.

But I would need 2 more US countable parts to be able to use my 5-round factory mag again.

Thats the way I see it.

BTW, I love the Intrafuse T6 approach to a quick and dirty pseudo-conversion; and with BATF, DEA, FBI, U.S. Marshalls and others populating the ranges here a few miles from D.C., the last thing I need is a replacement FCG to go full auto on me at the range (= 5 to 7 at Leavenworth).

. . why would you need 922r parts with a 5 round mag? You need 922r parts because your gun is technically unimportable without a mag in it at all.

You've not installed a grenade launcher.

You've not installed a bayonet lug (and bayonet)

You have installed a "distinctive pistol grip".

You have installed a "folding stock" (sort of).

You have a threaded muzzle.

You can have two of the above and not have any 922r parts in your guns, so long as you DON'T insert a "non sporting magazine". If you have 3 of the above, you'll need to be 922r compliant because more than 2 of those "evil featues" will keep a long gun from being imported.

Look at the single stack WASRs that are sold by Century. They've got a "distinctive pistol grip" and don't have a single 922r required part in them.