New purchase question?

Hello everyone, new guy here. I have been looking into getting me one of these bad boys, and I have been reading alot on this site and about the conversions etc. So I went to my local gun dealer in my area to see if they had any and they did indeed have one in stock. As he showed me the weapon I noticed the finished was very rough looking and some minor scratches on it. I quickly asked if this was used or new. He told me new, I was wondering if this is the normal with one of these shotguns new on the shelf, very rough looking, kinda looking like its used a bit?

Thanks

Hard to say without seeing what you mean by 'rough.' A scratch at the safety is not unusual and even expected. They are not elegantly finished but shouldn't look beat up. In any case it does not necessarily have anything to do with the actual function of the firearm.

Welcome to the forum!

Hard to say without seeing what you mean by 'rough.' A scratch at the safety is not unusual and even expected. They are not elegantly finished but shouldn't look beat up. In any case it does not necessarily have anything to do with the actual function of the firearm.

Welcome to the forum!

I understand what your saying, I wouldnt call it beat up, but it just didn't look like my rem 1100 that I have had for 12 years and this one was brand new.

I had my gun converted. After the conversion was done there were spots of bare metal underneath that needed to be painted/coated. I took this opportunity to have my gun parkerized then duracoated. My original finish looked like ass as it sat next to my scattergun tech remmy 870. It looked as if someone had taking a gun then just spray painted the whole thing with walmart brand generic black paint. After the park/duracoat my gun is smooth as velvet and looks better than the 870. The gun comes from the factory looking rough, as that's what it is...a diamond in the rough. It's not pretty, it's not supposed to be, that's its beauty. If you look at pictures of others' guns you'll noticed that no 2 are exactly alike. You'll see some that are unconverted and completely stock, then you'll see some conversions, such as glockmongers, that have crazy detailed paint jobs (digi camo, tiger stripes, etc). If you buy one you'll have to decide if you're happy with the factory look and feel or if you want to step it up some. For many the only factory part of the gun is the barrel and receiver.

I had my gun converted. After the conversion was done there were spots of bare metal underneath that needed to be painted/coated. I took this opportunity to have my gun parkerized then duracoated. My original finish looked like ass as it sat next to my scattergun tech remmy 870. It looked as if someone had taking a gun then just spray painted the whole thing with walmart brand generic black paint. After the park/duracoat my gun is smooth as velvet and looks better than the 870. The gun comes from the factory looking rough, as that's what it is...a diamond in the rough. It's not pretty, it's not supposed to be, that's its beauty. If you look at pictures of others' guns you'll noticed that no 2 are exactly alike. You'll see some that are unconverted and completely stock, then you'll see some conversions, such as glockmongers, that have crazy detailed paint jobs (digi camo, tiger stripes, etc). If you buy one you'll have to decide if you're happy with the factory look and feel or if you want to step it up some. For many the only factory part of the gun is the barrel and receiver.

So True... just a barrel and receiver...

The S-12s I have bought and then had converted were very rough. Frankly, they looked exactly the way vitamink described it - like it was spray painted with cheap black paint, by a half drunk, half asleep, disinterested, low paid, worker who was daydreaming about being elsewhere. With my very limited skills, I think I could finish a base weapon as well, if not better.

However, much like Cinderella, they can go from being a scullery maid to being the belle of the ball with some effort and a bit of money. Mine have been Cerakoted various colors and look, in my opinion, very nice. So, if the gun otherwise appears "new" I would not let the finish sway your decision to buy it.

Along with what others have said about the finish not being too critical, I'll add that you want to unscrew the gas plug and take a look at the gas ports. No telling how long it's been sitting on the shelf and whether it may be a Vodka Special or not.

Just look it over carefully and make sure it looks good mechanically.