Newb Questions...again

I am failing at the 10% rule (you must be 10% smarter than the object you are attempting to operate)...

1. I have removed the screw that retains the fore grip...and it still wont budge...

2. I have moved the gas tube lever to the vertical position...and the gas tube wont' budge....

Any patient assistance and guidance is appreciated...and if it makes you feel better to bag on my lack of experience, please feel free. I deserve it!

Thank you!

For the forend I propped small part of a wood 2x4 against it (on the little rear edge) and tapped that lightly with a hammer. Did the same thign to put it back on. Used a rubber mallot to move the gas tube lever. Once the lever is all the way up, just wiggle the gas tube. Try moving the lever to different angles til its lined up right.

Edited by Pathfind3r
For the forend I propped small part of a wood 2x4 against it (on the little rear edge) and tapped that lightly with a hammer. Did the same thign to put it back on. Used a rubber mallot to move the gas tube lever. Once the lever is all the way up, just wiggle the gas tube. Try moving the lever to different angles til its lined up right.

thanks for the advice...i'll give it a try as soon as i get done with the chores! Also, I'll let you know what progress I make. I'm also considering drilling some ventilation holes in the forend to improve cooling and give it a little bit of a custom look.....

Not to say you're this obtuse, but have you removed the bolt carrier before trying to remove the gas tube?

The hand guard has two screws holding it on. One at each end.

First, yes I have removed the bolt carrier...and I don't blame you for asking!

Second, yes I have removed both the rear screw and the screw holding the forward sling mount.

I appreciate you following up and asking.

Second, yes I have removed both the rear screw and the screw holding the forward sling mount.

Take the hand guard in hand, and drive the barrel downward onto some carpet or your couch or something. If both screws are out, it'll slide right off.

The gas tube can be removed easily if you wiggle the retaining lever while you apply upward force to the tube (use your hand, tools can dent/bend the tube)

You'd be surprised at the number of folks who don't remove the bolt carrier before trying to take the gas tube off

Not to say you're this obtuse, but have you removed the bolt carrier before trying to remove the gas tube?

The hand guard has two screws holding it on. One at each end.

You don't have to remove the sling swivel screw, only the rear one to remove the handguard (I just did it a few minute ago). Use a piece of wood and hammer and tap the back edge I was talking about with the barrel facing down into the carpet. Tap lightly and it will shake loose. This was a hard part for me too my first time.

Edited by Pathfind3r

You guys rock!

I followed the advice and (after removing the bolt carrier!), was able to remove both the forend and the gas tube...I used a soft wood block and tapped gently until the forend moved forward. Then spent some time playing with the gas tube until I found the sweet spot. Everything went back together easily and now I have the confidence of knowing what it takes to do the job.

Thanks for your patience!

So many people ask this, I decided to make a visual aid. Maybe i should contact RAA and have them amend the saiga manual to include this image. lol

3711621474_4f5d73e91f_o.jpg

Nice work...and you are 100% right.

The manual is pretty poor, so I rely on people like you all who have actual experience to help me out.

Thanks for the great visual!

Nice work...and you are 100% right.

The manual is pretty poor, so I rely on people like you all who have actual experience to help me out.

Thanks for the great visual!

When I got my Saiga, I had a find help with the tube also. It was a pain going by the manual.