I found some Bulgarian mil-surp ammo, 1980s production. They say its NON-corrosive!

1980s production. "10" headstamp. Copper-washed steel case. Berdan-primed, non-reloadable and non-corrosive.

149-grain full metal jacket bullet. 440 rds. per tin, 20 rds. per box. Very clean, ready to feed into your favorite surplus firearm

How can I tell? Is there something to look for? Are they just BS'ing? Or, are the terms "Milsurp" and "NON corrosive" reletive to what that country considers corrosive?

1980s production. "10" headstamp. Copper-washed steel case. Berdan-primed, non-reloadable and non-corrosive. .

Edited by Arik
I found some Bulgarian mil-surp ammo, 1980s production. They say its NON-corrosive!

... How can I tell? Is there something to look for? Are they just BS'ing? ....

Easy! Just fire some of it and then put your gun up without cleaning. If it is corrosive you will know in a few days.

1980s production. "10" headstamp. Copper-washed steel case. Berdan-primed, non-reloadable and non-corrosive.

149-grain full metal jacket bullet. 440 rds. per tin, 20 rds. per box. Very clean, ready to feed into your favorite surplus firearm

How can I tell? Is there something to look for? Are they just BS'ing? Or, are the terms "Milsurp" and "NON corrosive" reletive to what that country considers corrosive?

1980s production. "10" headstamp. Copper-washed steel case. Berdan-primed, non-reloadable and non-corrosive. .

All surplus should be treated as corrosive as it most always is. New commerical e.g. Wolf, Barnaul, S&B, and Brown Bear is not.

Here is a quintessential link for the 7.62x54R shooter.

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

If it's the Bulgarian surplus stuff with the "10" headstamp from the 1980's, it is definitely corrosive. I have a bunch of it, shoots great but cleaning is a bitch. Also, it's 147 grain, Bulgarian light ball. It's nice steel-core stuff, throws up a decent number of sparks if it strikes rocks or metal. Even after only 20 rounds it takes about a half hour of brushing and swabbing before patches start coming out clean. I always disassemble the bolt for cleaning after I shoot with corrosives, and while that may be a little excessive, I've never had a spot of rust.

Edited to note bullet weight

Edited by Shandlanos