Botched Paint Job? How do I fix this?

So, I painted my S12 receiver using Duplicolor 500 Degree Enamel last week, applying several coats of primer and then the paint an hour later. It's been hanging for 6 days now, as I am letting the paint cure for the recommended 7 seven days. Outside of the receiver looks pretty good, but as you can see from the picture, inside the receiver and on the rails, I have these unsightly patches of little clumps/bumps. It seems that, despite of my best efforts, I didn't degrease and clean enough in spots?

So, my question is: am I stuck with these or can I do something about them, such as sanding the affected parts and applying another coat of paint? What would be the proper way of doing this? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

post-10789-1248195453_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

You'll want to remove ALL of the paint from your carrier rails. Use a Dremel or Foredom, or sandpaper in a fine grit to remove the enamel down to the metal on the rails. Smooth out the rails with increasingly finer grades of abrasive. Topping out at 600 to 800 grit should do. You can go finer if you want.

Also remove any paint from the feed ramp area, and sand the outside lower edges of the ramp so your shells dont catch on the sharp corners feeding into the chamber.

Leaving paint on the rails will interfere with proper cycling. Next time you do a conversion, I recommend masking off the receiver, barrel, gas tube, and mag well before painting.

Duplicolor is great stuff (especially at about six bucks a can), but you don't need six coats. Just sand the existing Russian paint a little, and apply one or two even coats of Duplicolor. It should dry in about an hour. If it gets scratched up while you are shooting, just sand and touch up as necessary:)

The Russians knew what they were doing when they elected to paint these guns instead of using all of the fancy aftermarket nonsense being sold out there. There's no need to reinvent the wheel :super:

WS