Federal Bulk Ammo

I noticed a lot of people complaining about all the junk buildup in their shotguns, and hadn't shot any Federal bulk ammo yet at that time. I was only shooting Winchester 00 buck and Wolf 00 buck to break mine in. I went and bought a wallyworld 100 rd value pack, and it was the most foul smelling and dirtiest ammo I've ever shot. I then went and bought the Winchester and Remington bulk ammo, and shot it. Nothing compared to the Federal stuff smell wise or dirtiness in cleaning. Maybe this is a big reason for the gas puck not doing it's duty? There was a LOT of fouling compared to the 00 buck loads, and compared to the Winchester and Remington bird loads, in my experience. Anybody else notice this? or is it just me?

I noticed a lot of people complaining about all the junk buildup in their shotguns, and hadn't shot any Federal bulk ammo yet at that time. I was only shooting Winchester 00 buck and Wolf 00 buck to break mine in. I went and bought a wallyworld 100 rd value pack, and it was the most foul smelling and dirtiest ammo I've ever shot. I then went and bought the Winchester and Remington bulk ammo, and shot it. Nothing compared to the Federal stuff smell wise or dirtiness in cleaning. Maybe this is a big reason for the gas puck not doing it's duty? There was a LOT of fouling compared to the 00 buck loads, and compared to the Winchester and Remington bird loads, in my experience. Anybody else notice this? or is it just me?

It is smelly. I haven't had any issues with fouling the gas system though. I usually only run through 100, 200 max before packing up and cleaning the gun.

For cheap range ammo, I tend to use Federal bulk packs. I don't know how many 100 round boxes I've gone through since getting my Saiga 12 in January, but it's at least 8.

Unless they've changed the ingredients, I believe all powder will have some amount of sulphur in it. Federal probably has a bit more than some others though. During a recent trip to "the pit", when firing into the wind, I noticed the smell more than I usually do. In fact, with a rapid 20 round ammo dump, I actually got enough smoke in my face to cause a slight irritation in my eyes. Not like pepper spray or anything. Just enough to make my eyes water a little.

Corbin