Has anyone tried a pistol

scope on top mount handguard utg or ultimak with good results? I am thinking of making a scout style rifle with a pistol scope since the scout scopes have so little field of view at 100 yards. Very interested in this combination probably go with a 2X scope.

I like the Ultimak I have. I currently have a red dot mounted on a G kit I built. They are a solid mount and made to last. The mount replaces the gas tube and I had no issues with the lower handguard. I've been wanting to get one for my Saiga 12. They make them for damn near everything now and prices are around $90. If your looking to place one on a .223 Saiga you WONT need the shim kit, the barrel diam. is a go for standard mounts.

Down side - Gotta remove the mount to clean the gas port. But then again, it's an AK. You don't clean an AK, you wipe the smud off of it and throw another mag in it. :D

Thanks for the infomation. Does the original handguard work well with the ultimak on it? My cousin had an ultimak on his ak and liked it. I am in Kuwait a long way from my safe and if you get a chance could you measure out the distance from regular cheekweld to where the scope should be mounted? No rush just would like to get as much information as I can before I buy anything and send it home. Buying off the net of course no mounts here in the camp. What kind of pistol scope did you have mounted? I am thinking of leupold 2X or Burris 2X. I have heard bad things about Burris pistol scopes with canted reticles right out of the box. don't want to deal with that. Thanks for all the information and will shop around it you know of any codes or coupons that would help also.

Hi,

I bought the Ultimak and temporarily mounted it on my 7.62x39. The only lower handguards I have are the Surefire tri-rail and the original Saiga handguard. Either would need to be modified to work with the Ultimak.

While it was on the rifle, I experimented with mounting both a 2-3/4X Burris Scout scope and a 2X Leupold pistol scope that I had on hand. The eye relief was right for the pistol scope, but a bit too long for the Scout scope. It also looked like clearance between the ocular bell and the rear sight might be a problem. The scope would either have to be mounted far enough forward to put the bell ahead of the sight (works OK for the pistol scope, puts Scout scope too far forward) or high mounts would be needed to raise the bell above the sight. Might have to use high mounts anyway to keep the rear sight out of the scopes FOV.

As I recall, the pistol scope was the best choice of the two. Throwing the gun to the shoulder it seemed easier to find the illuminated part of the FOV. Due to the higher magnification of the Scout scope, its FOV was more constrained. The edge of the field seemed much less sharp than the Leupold as well.

I haven't pursued this any further at this point as it began to look like I was wandering away from the simple/reliable/functional/inexpensive role I originally planned for my Saigas. I'll probably modify the tri-rail handguard to make it fit the Ultimak when I find time.

Bob

Edited by 555JM

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I have seen Leupold pistol scopes go for under $200 on ebay and if I get the ultimak I can modify my stock handguard to fit it as I plan on cutting some vent holes for it also when I get home. I was wondering abou the eye relief and you answered my question on that glad the pistol scope works now to find a deal on the ultimak. What model of ultimak fits the Saiga 223? Thanks again. :rolleyes::rolleyes: