Disassembling the Saiga

Before I really mess up a new gun, I wanted to check on disassembly procedure. I'm not sure I understand the following terms in the manual "upper receiver latch" and "latch button" So please correct me if I am wrong in interpreting the proper procedure in disassemble the Saiga .223.

With the rifle unloaded, bolt forward, and safety engaged, I press the square looking button on the rear of the dust cover and pull it off. I then move the same square button forward to clear the rails and pull the spring assemble out of the rifle. Next I disengage safety and remove bolt assembly.

My confusion concerns is there an upper receiver latch and a latch button, or are they the same thing? Thanks

The latch button (or upper rcvr. latch) is spring loaded and protrudes through the rear of the receiver cover. Push forward on the button and lift the sheet metal receiver cover off. Push forward on the button until it clears the receiver rails and lift the button/spring assembly up and to the rear, removing it from the carrier. Retract the carrier assembly to the rear until you can pull it up and away from the receiver. The gas piston is attached to the front of the carrier.

Last evening I disassembled the Saiga. Not difficult but I did find getting the bolt back in was a bit more worriesome than I expected. Does the small lever to the right of the rear sight allow access to any area that needs to be cleaned? Mine seemed to be permanently mounted. I didn't put too much energy into trying to get it to lift, like I remember the one on my SKS did. Again I found nothing in the manual to indicate any need of rotating it, but still curious about it. Hope no one thinks I'm asking "stoopid" questions. RedRiver