What-if I shorten without internal chokes

Hi all,

Do you think my Saiga would perform lousy with double odd buck and slugs if I shorten my 22" barrel myself...Here at Bill the Butcher's custom Saiga Shop?

No ideas? Didn't anyone cut down their 22" barrel. I'm wondering if I'll run into any malfuctions due to lack of pressure to pushback the bolt? I'll take your best guess. :smoke:

I've shot the SBS S12's...14" or less..& I know you might at least have to open the Gas port/ports a bit......Elite does it when they take em down to 18"...Mostly to be able to shoot Cheaper low presure ammo..

Tony@TROMIX does one helluva conversion to I think a 10"...It looks like he even shortens the Gas tube... :unsure:

Think'n about it..& look'n over your ? again...Most 00 Buck loads are loaded pretty hot,anyways...so ya probably wouldn't have any probs...

Edited by StarLynx

I would'nt shoot slugs in MY Full choke..I'm sure it happens..& I've seen where some have.....I'd think sooner or later...either it will split..or it WON"T be a full choke anymore...Maybe some of the others are more in the know on this little detail.. :unsure:

If your shooting 00 you will be fine. All but the lightest/cheapest of loads usuallly work with a barrel cut down to 18.xx inches. So buy quality bird shot and you'll be fine. Or if you reload... just make up about 10 different loads and figure where your powder cutoff point is.. Now you've got Cheap and Reliable for skeet or hunting.