Fixed full choke questions

OK, so I dont know that much about shotguns. Best to get that out front.

There is a Saiga-20, 19" barrel, fixed full choke at a local sporting goods store for $190. Seems like a pretty good deal, and I really liked what I saw. The only thing that bugs me is the full choke. Does this mean I wont be able to shoot slugs at all? What about buckshot? I dont know for sure, but I think the answer is "no". Since I am interested in defensive capabilities as much as just a fun shooter, do I have any options to "fix" this particular weapon to meet my needs?

For example, I *think* the choked portion of the barrel is just the last inch or so. Does that mean I could just cut off the last inch of the barrel and wind up with an 18" cylinder bore? Does anyone sell barrels, and are they easy to replace? Any other defensive-oriented options for this weapon in "stock form" that I might not be aware of?

I know, if I want a cylinder bore I should buy a cylinder bore. But full choke is what is available now at a price I like...and I want it!

Thanks all!

I am in the same situation that you are. I got a great deal on a 20 gauge. the problem is it came with a full choke barrel. I had intended to use this gun for duck hunting on occasion. The only option that I could come up with was to have the barrel threaded for screw in chokes by a competent gunsmith. I got a price on this procedure. If interested e-mail me at -----coffinhandler@yahoo.com.

• 1 month later...
I am in the same situation that you are. I got a great deal on a 20 gauge. the problem is it came with a full choke barrel. I had intended to use this gun for duck hunting on occasion. The only option that I could come up with was to have the barrel threaded for screw in chokes by a competent gunsmith. I got a price on this procedure. If interested e-mail me at -----coffinhandler@yahoo.com.

this is what i want to do. i havent called around to see who could do this for me locally but i really want to be able to not have to aim so exact while skeet shooting, as well as put a full choke in for 'coon hunting

anyways, i'll email you and see what ya did

just called the local gunsmith McBrides (excellent place in Austin, TX)

they quoted me $27.50 to open it up to whatever i wanted, or like $85 for threaded with one choke + around $27 for each extra choke

sounds awesome, as soon as i get my tax return i WILL be doing this

• 3 weeks later...

just got back from McBride's (local gunsmith) and they're going to call me when it's ready. i had to wait around like 20 minutes while the guy asked a gunsmith if it had enough room to drill it out. the guy i was talking to made it sound like it would take a while for them to get to it and get it done, but we'll see. after the work and 2 tubes it's going to come out to $105.

i also got a sling and a 20ga bore snake.

i cant wait to get it back and put it to use

Hi

you can fire slugs and buckshot through a full choke , i have done it on my saiga 12 many times as im often too lazy to remove the full choke lol. I have only fired the foster type (not solid slug) and i would not reccomend firing any form of solid or sabot slug through it. Jesuscow seems to have the ideal fix for you.

good luck

assassin