Started My conversion

Well I started the conversion. I took a before pic so I can post a before and after.

Some questions.

I got all the guts removed and I ground the rivet heads off, beat apart the spot welds and have the trigger guard and body ready for drilling. I have to go pick up some decent drill bits so that is where I stopped for today.

When I pulled the plate off that the rivets and guard are attached to, I had 4 bumps, 2 from the rivets that I ground down and 2 from the spot welds. I then ground those smooth, so there are no drill holes in the bottom of the body. If I leave it like this, do I have to worry about those rivets loosening and bouncing around inside? I couldn't easily punch them out (I tried, but didn't have a back-up anvil handy so didn't beat very hard), so I ground them down instead.

Also, how do I properly shape and position the trigger guard? I am reusing the stock one, until I destroy it and have to buy a new one (any suggestions on an aftermartket trigger guard?) so I am assuming I need to temporarily mount the pistol grip with grip nut and tweak the guard until I get it to fit right, then mark the holes, and take the grip back off. Does that sound right? Would it be benificial to temporarily mount the new trigger assembly to check that as well?

Thanks for any help, it is really neat doing this conversion. And these stupid Saigas have me hooked, I'm now casually browsing for a Saiga 12 gauge to accompany this.

Here is another general saiga question. My safety lever put a huge scratch up the body where the detent is. Is that normal? Also, what is the small lever right in front of the rear site?

Thanks

Bob

The safety scratch is just a fact of life, every AK has it that I have ever seen. As for the remains of the rivets Im not sure I always punch them out after grinding off the ends. The trigger guard has to be bent to a smaller diameter to fit, I use a vise to get it close then just muscle it in the rest of the way. Saiga TG is not like an AK as the latter comes with the mag release attached to it. There are Saiga only TG to be bought but they are a bit pricey and always seem to be out of stock. One company makes one with the PG attached to it to save cutting a PG nut hole and they look very nice Heres the link!

I may use it if I ever convert another Saiga as I dont plan to buy more and haven't been pursuing any local jobs for them lately but may. The S12 TG looks very well done, the 308 is just plain jane.

I usually leave those rivets in, I tried punching them out a few times but they did not even move for me. So I left them. If they become loose at a later time, just take off the reciever cover, flip the gun upside down and shake it, that should get them out lol. :)

Triggerguard: I reused mine, just like Rhodes1968 said, use the vice to bend it in to a smaller profile, I forgot how much shorter the new one was, but I tried it a couple of times and attached pistol grip before I welded the guard to the reciever. You can also just use a screw to mount it, since the rear screw will be under the pistol grip. Scratch from a safety will never go away, and you should just accept it, thats part of the ak personality. :) And the other small lever on a sight block is to release the gas tube, you flip it up to about 90 degrees and it should release the gas tube.

These things are sure addictive. Dont forget to buy a 5.45x39 saiga too.

Thanks for the quick answers guys.

I'm not sure if I will get to finishing this thing this week, but I will post pics once I do.

Here's another off the wall question. Last week, I got an email (I think) about a new billit quad rail for the saigas, and of course I deleted the email, it was from amory of some sort and I was in a hurry and didn't look into it any further, now I am kicking myself because, as I remember, it was substantially less than the one available at carolinas. Anyone have any idea what this thing was? I know I'm not giving much info here.

Bob

OK, Found that Quadrail I was looking for:

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index....category_id=241

Anyone see these? Do you think they will fit Saiga's?

Stupid Saigas, I'm about ready to close on a Converted Saiga 12ga. It will be so cool.

Bob

I am sure it is possible to get anything on the Saiga if you really put your mind to it. If you take out your handguard that comes default, there will be a tab on it that slides into the receiver that the screw goes through to secure it. The rail pictured lacks such tab, but might attach via some other method... it might be loose though since its not designed for the Saiga. If you don't get an answer here, try giving that store a call and see what they say, or ask them if you can return it if it does not fit.

EDIT: Let me know if it works so I can order one too :)

Edited by SovietGinger
OK, Found that Quadrail I was looking for:

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index....category_id=241

Anyone see these? Do you think they will fit Saiga's?

Stupid Saigas, I'm about ready to close on a Converted Saiga 12ga. It will be so cool.

Bob

I am sure it is possible to get anything on the Saiga if you really put your mind to it. If you take out your handguard that comes default, there will be a tab on it that slides into the receiver that the screw goes through to secure it. The rail pictured lacks such tab, but might attach via some other method... it might be loose though since its not designed for the Saiga. If you don't get an answer here, try giving that store a call and see what they say, or ask them if you can return it if it does not fit.

EDIT: Let me know if it works so I can order one too :)

The problem with all these quads is that they usually tighten over the gas tube, making it a chore and a half to remove that dirty bastard. And you do have to clean the gas tube or it will rust.

Ive always hated those rails. They make the rifle uncomfortable to shoot correctly and face it there's not that much that is beneficial to hang off the blasted things any way. Some people will just ruin a good rifle to look cool then blame the rifle.

REKIII,

That handguard won't be a drop-in fit for the saiga. You're going to need Dinzag's handguard adapters to attach to the barrel and a gas tube with a handguard slot for it. If you click on the installed pictures you'll see where it attaches to the barrel and the gas tube.

Hope that helps.

The adapter wouldn't be so bad.

The biggest reason I want a quar rail is for hte top rail, but even the ones available don't really go back as far as I'd like. I'd like ot mount a scope to a top rail and not a side mount top rail, I just don't like them.

I might also mount a laser or light or vertical forgrip, but it's mostly for the scope.

I got an email from CAA on this grip as I was typing this:

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID...=44&c=42610

They said they have never tried it and don't know if it would or wouldn't but I could try it and if it didn't fit I can return it.

Hmmm, now what to do.

Bob

You could look into this rig:

If you do a search on the forum I think the developer of the rail is a member here.

That is pretty cool. Looks like this one:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...ire-Rear/Detail

Wonder if it is the same thing without the rear quick release. The one I listed was out of stock until recently.

Not even close brother.

One is POS polymer that you have to unscrew EVERY time you need to clean the gun the other one is aluminum billet with quick release - night and day.

• 5 weeks later...

So, last night I finished assembling the 308 with the parts I have. I attached a pre converted pic and 3 post conversions.

I'm temporarily happy with the handguard, but will be looking for something different. I like the stock, but think I'm going to get a rear plug and a folder attachment and a more conventional skeleton or AR style stock. The angle that the tapco sits bothers me.

I decided to weld and grind the TG, which I think functionally is great, but you can see my grinding marks. I'm hoping once it gets blasted and duracoated (sometime in the future) it will look better.

I'm still playing with the different grip options on the CAA PG, but I really like it.

All in All I'm happy with my work, first time really dissassembling and reassembling a gun, much less an AK. Got the assembly back together in about 20 mins, with BHO. The worst part was that it was almost a month since dissassembly, and I forgot the instructions at work.

I also want to get the barrel cut down and add a flash hider, probably a krebs reail with scope as well.

Next on the block though is my S-12 that I got a couple days ago. Going to start ordering parts for that and try some different things and then revisit the .308.

Really glad I found this site and you guys were all a great help.

Glad to be here.

Bob

post-19440-1252068077_thumb.jpg

post-19440-1252068084_thumb.jpg

post-19440-1252068091_thumb.jpg

post-19440-1252068100_thumb.jpg

A question -

Unfotunately I did not play enough with the preconverted saiga, so I'm not certain how the safety 'used' to work.

If I have the safety off (down), I can pull the bolt back and load the chamber, then I can fire. If I pull the bolt back, let it go forward, then move the safety lever up, I can still fire. If I have the safety closed, put the bolt back to the safety point, I can still fire.

Fire, in all these cases meaning I can pull the trigger and the ammer springs.

Is this correct?

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, that's a known issue with the .308's. You'll need to weld up your safety to get it to work again or use Dinzag's .308 FCG which is modified to not have this problem.

A question -

Unfotunately I did not play enough with the preconverted saiga, so I'm not certain how the safety 'used' to work.

If I have the safety off (down), I can pull the bolt back and load the chamber, then I can fire. If I pull the bolt back, let it go forward, then move the safety lever up, I can still fire. If I have the safety closed, put the bolt back to the safety point, I can still fire.

Fire, in all these cases meaning I can pull the trigger and the ammer springs.

Is this correct?

Bob