Wasr-10 single stack conversion

Got a Wasr-10 single stack.

It has a US pistol Grip & US on the side of trigger. (I believe the whole Trigger group is US, but need to check)

It came in the original 10 single stack configuration.

If I convert the magazine well to take doublestack magazines, will I still be compliant per 922?

Is it a better deal to do a bullet guide conversion to a Saiga 7.62 or a "wallered out WASR-10"?

Costs I have seen plus what I understand is needed to make them legal.

Saiga 7.62 costs $349. <-- need bullet guide and handguard to use USA mags, plus 3 more parts if using Foreign mags.

WASR-10 (SS) costs $359. <-- need lots of MANUAL LABOR, should be able to use any magazine if I have 4 US parts already.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Is it a better deal to do a bullet guide conversion to a Saiga 7.62 or a "wallered out WASR-10"?
It'll only be "wallered out" if you ham-hand it.
WASR-10 (SS) costs $359. <-- need lots of MANUAL LABOR, should be able to use any magazine if I have 4 US parts already.

If it's got a muzzle device, you'll actually need 6 US parts to bring the foreign parts down to 10 or less.

You're thinking of a factory saiga (which has 14 countable parts).

It's kinda weird you'd have a single-stack WASR with a pistol grip and US trigger (I'll bet you've got the whole US made FCG in there).

It'll only be "wallered out" if you ham-hand it.

If it's got a muzzle device, you'll actually need 6 US parts to bring the foreign parts down to 10 or less.

You're thinking of a factory saiga (which has 14 countable parts).

It's kinda weird you'd have a single-stack WASR with a pistol grip and US trigger (I'll bet you've got the whole US made FCG in there).

Sorry I meant "wallered out" as a term for hand grinding it out using a Dremel, with no intent of screwing it up. ;)

The Single stack WASR10 has a welded on nut instead of a muzzle device.

So "IF" the WASR10 has a US made FCG & Pistol grip that makes 4?

I need to check the piston also for US manufacture.

I already have a still-sporter Saiga 7.62, that I picked up a US handgrip for to be able to use US Surefire 30 rd mags.

That will be another project.

What I am curious about is which should be my 3rd AK?

I have the Sporter Saiga 7.62 and a single stack WASR10 now. (both are pretty much stock right now)

I like the pure AK look of the WASR10 (although they are a little rough around the edges).

So if these WASR10s come from Romania with a weld nut on the muzzle (15 parts), US pistol grip(14), and a US FCG(11), then how are they imported?

Must they have 10 foreign parts even if they have a single stack 10 round mag?

Sorry for all the questions.

So if these WASR10s come from Romania with a weld nut on the muzzle (15 parts), US pistol grip(14), and a US FCG(11), then how are they imported?

They're imported like this:

thumbholeakb.jpg

They have 0 US parts in this configuration and are only able to utilize their single stack mags.

So long as it's incapable of accepting a milsurp mag, it needs no US parts at all.

thumbholeakb.jpg

They have 0 US parts in this configuration and are only able to utilize their single stack mags.

So long as it's incapable of accepting a milsurp mag, it needs no US parts at all.

post-18787-1250013888_thumb.jpg

It looks like this.

thumbholeakb.jpg

It looks like this.

Century has modified it since it was imported, but left the 10 round stinker magwell in place.

So long as you don't 'waller it out', you don't need any more US parts than what you have.

If you do open it up, you'll need another US part in the rifle, if it has a US made FCG and pistol grip already.

Edited by nalioth

thumbholeakb.jpg

It looks like this.

Century has modified it since it was imported, but left the 10 round stinker magwell in place.

So long as you don't 'waller it out', you don't need any more US parts than what you have.

If you do open it up, you'll need another US part in the rifle, if it has a US made FCG and pistol grip already.

I still need to check the Piston to see if it is US built, but I am not very hopeful that they did me that much of a favor.

I guess I could put a new US handguard to get me there like the Saiga I have, of course then I would want the stock to match. :D

I would like to thank you very much for your help.

At least I am close in the US part count to being there if I do decide to open up the mag-well.

Maybe I can pickup some synthetic stocks to match the pistol grip.

Edited by horse41tx

Or spend $20 (or less) and get a US gas piston and be done with it.

I was looking at these also as price is LOW for these.. And the WOOD is nice..

Anyone got a drawing/overlay of the mag-well opening dimensions for dbl stack mags for this???

I was looking at Century WASR-10's with wire folders with single-stack mags as they are cheap also.