Question for anyone shooting a .22LR conversion kits

It seems to me that these conversion kits, while allowing affordable "blazing", wouldn't be accurate at all. The .22LR is hurled down the barrel without the aid of the rifling to impart spin on the slug. I'd think that the .22LR would 'float', sort of like a major league knuckleball, and be horribly inaccurate.

Any comments/opinions from conversion kit shooters?

It seems to me that these conversion kits, while allowing affordable "blazing", wouldn't be accurate at all. The .22LR is hurled down the barrel without the aid of the rifling to impart spin on the slug. I'd think that the .22LR would 'float', sort of like a major league knuckleball, and be horribly inaccurate.

Any comments/opinions from conversion kit shooters?

What conversion kits are you talking about? What gun? All of the conversion kit's I've seen definitely have rifled barrels.

I have a CZ-22 upper for my M4 that is very accurate. It is a great trainer and lets me stay sharp for change! I have six Blackdog mags for it and used to have a homemade funhouse in the local woods when I was in SC.

I printed out reduced size targets on legal paper and had someone hang them in random ways for me before I walked it. I shot it a few times a week. It REALLY helped!

What conversion kits are you talking about? What gun? All of the conversion kit's I've seen definitely have rifled barrels.

Here is one of them. It does not include a barrel, so anyone who purchases this kit would in essence be putting a .22lr slug down a 7.62mm barrel, thus not using the rifling.

What Kits for what type of gun I just got a Cmmg kit for my ar15 and Ive probly shot about 300 rounds threw it now it works like a champ good plinking at 100 yards easy to change out. Glad I made the purchase

Does that CMMG kit have a dedicated upper? If so, then the barrel is bored and rifled for a .22LR

I have a CZ-22 upper for my M4 that is very accurate....

That upper would also have a bored and rifled barrel for a .22LR, right?

It makes perfect sense to me that any .22LR convo kit with a dedicated upper would be very accurate. I have shot one AR dedicated upper convo kit and it was amazingly accurate, and I am considering getting a kit for my 7.62, but since the kit uses the 7.62 barrel, I don't know if it would be all that accurate.

The kit that I linked to above in this reply has a 'barrel liner/converter" and it looks like about a 10" long tube that inserts down the barrel from the chamber and may be a rifled tube, but it just doesn't look all that sturdy to me....

Edited by TR Young

The kit I have does not use a dedicated upper I have a .223 ar15 and It just replaces the bolt and uses the barrel for the ar15 but its still very accurate as for the 7.62mm kit it looks like a barrel sleve for the .22

post-17989-1251048223_thumb.png

Here is one of them. It does not include a barrel, so anyone who purchases this kit would in essence be putting a .22lr slug down a 7.62mm barrel, thus not using the rifling.

It includes a barrel liner that reduces the barrel diameter. I assume that this barrel liner is also rifled, but a quick google search turns up things that would keep me from buying this kit. They seem to have a reputation for being inaccurate and unreliable. the company it's self also as a less than stellar reputation. If you want a 22lr AK, I would go with one of the dedicated look alike models. Like a WASR-22, Armscor AK-22 or the GSG 22lr replica. Does anyone know which one is the most like an actual AK? I'm sure they are all blowback operated, but what about trigger parts, receiver construction and feel?

If you want a 22lr AK, I would go with one of the dedicated look alike models. Like a WASR-22, Armscor AK-22 or the GSG 22lr replica. Does anyone know which one is the most like an actual AK? I'm sure they are all blowback operated, but what about trigger parts, receiver construction and feel?

I would guess the WASR .22 is the most like an actual AK.

Cobra seems to like his: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=42620 .

If you want a 22lr AK, I would go with one of the dedicated look alike models. Like a WASR-22, Armscor AK-22 or the GSG 22lr replica. Does anyone know which one is the most like an actual AK? I'm sure they are all blowback operated, but what about trigger parts, receiver construction and feel?

I would guess the WASR .22 is the most like an actual AK.

Cobra seems to like his: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=42620 .

I've researched just a little since I posted. I wonder if the AKT-98 is much different than the WASR-22. Apparently they are physically the same, except for furniture.

Edited by bigj480