I finally found myself a .22 cal AK. I've been wanting one for quite a while and almost had one about a year or so ago. It was a Jager (sp?) AP-80 and the seller backed out on our deal and sold it to someone else. :rolleyes:

So not too long ago I decided to get a Ruger 10/22 and convert it with a Krinker Plinker kit. That one is great and all but still not really an AK. So I kept on looking and came across another option just by chance, about a week ago.

Got a WASR .22 AK trainer rifle in great condition with three factory Cugir 10 rd mags. I never really paid any attention to these rifles before, maybe because the other WASR AKs aren't that popular with most folks. ( 10 rd single stack mags...etc...)

So I was quite surprised when I saw the quality and the adaptability of this one. It also shoots great! With the price of ammo these days, it's really nice to have a new AK for the collection, that I can shoot all I want without watching the dollar signs go out through the ejection port.

Well, here's what it looked like when I got it last week.

post-1293-1248056394_thumb.jpg

Then I put the Romy wood HGs on it to match the stock.

post-1293-1248056440_thumb.jpg

So then I added a Romy AK sling.

post-1293-1248056457_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about cutting some nice finger grooves in the grip part of the thumbhole stock, to make it more tolerable on the hands, but then decided to put that off for now and go with a more traditional style AK. It was good news to hear that rimfire rifles don't fall under 922R rulings, so I can use any foreign furniture or parts I want. Nifty!

So I went through my parts boxes and started trying different things. (This is what I really like most about this rifle, compared to some other .22 AK style ones....you can use real AK parts! :super: )

I started to use this sweet Russian laminate set for awhile, but changed my mind when I found I was going to have to trim down the width of my stock some to get it in there. Don't want to do that....maybe I can find another nice red stock somewhere just for this one, or strip and refinish an extra Romy stock I've got set back for a rainy day. Anywhoo...here's what the HGs looked like on there... :wub:

post-1293-1248057337_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248057373_thumb.jpg

So I looked around some more and found some black furniture that I think I'm gonna keep on it for awhile til I'm ready for a change.

post-1293-1248057685_thumb.jpg

That pic was taken after I test fired it and decided to replace the dustcover with another Romy one I had layin around. That larger ejection port fixed the problem I was having with the empties hitting and bouncing back inside the cover, rattling around and getting down into the FCG....not good... I shot it again yesterday and still had one get back in there, but nothing like what was happening before. The gun was also filthy when I first got it, so it also got a good brake cleaner bath and relube, when I had it all apart.

So then I decided those dinky little mags that came with it just don't look right. I've seen some videos that show a Bulgarian 30 rd mag used instead. That's now on my list of things to find....anyone know where to get some?

For now though....I took an extra Romy mag body I had layin around and ground the feed lips off it. Took one of the ten rd mags apart and the inside part fits perfect inside the steel 30 rd body.

post-1293-1248059373_thumb.jpg

The steel mags are wider though, so it compared them to see what needed to be removed...

post-1293-1248059517_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248059532_thumb.jpg

Then to the mill! Damn it's nice to finally have the right shit to work with when I'm doin somethin like this. :super:

post-1293-1248059805_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248060020_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248060250_thumb.jpg

You can see in this pic what need to be removed from the factory mag body innards, in order for it to sit at the correct angle in the steel body.

post-1293-1248060562_thumb.jpg

So once the steel body was thinned down enough to fit the receiver, I fit the other part inside and put the AK mag spring and floorplate back in. Test fitted it again with some ammo and it cycled perfectly. :smoke:

post-1293-1248060793_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248060823_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248060841_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248060867_thumb.jpg

And now she looks like a real AK should! :super:

post-1293-1248060999_thumb.jpg

Also got this old Norinco dustcover with a scope mount on it. I may try to sight it in and see how well it hold zero. If it doesn't I'll just use the side rail and a Belarus mount.

post-1293-1248061138_thumb.jpg

Now I just need to cut up one of my cheap 10/22 25rd mags and try to get that to work inside a 30 rd steel or poly AK mag body.

Then it's just thread the barrel for a slant brake and put a detent and spring in there. Luckily the hole is already there for that.

Speakin of detents...I haven't forgot about ya Twinsen. I'm waiting on a collet for the mill that I need to do your Krebs sight and dinzag brake.

Hey I got a question for you guys who know about these babies...does this electro penciled marking mean it was actually built in Romania, and not put together by those monkeys at Century?

post-1293-1248061984_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248062005_thumb.jpg

Cobra, those are entirely made in Romania, and untouched by the monkeys (except to take 'em out of the shipping container and log 'em in).

You are under the false assumption that the WASR is made here. It is not. They are all entirely made in Romania and the Century monkeys only add 922r parts to those that require them.

That's not electropencil, but "laser dot matrix" (welcome to the future, right?).

Cool deal! I figured you would know about that. I didn't think that looked like a century trigger.I was wondering because it's from the same place as my PSL, or more correctly I guess....Romak III. I had read that some of the PSLs out there are century kit builds.

Overall the thing looks very good, except for some ugly tooling marks on the GB and the bayo lug being gone. Hey! I've got an extra Romy AK GB with the lug that looks much better. Do you know right offhand if it will fit, or is it too big on the ID?

OK...will do man. I'll shoot ya a couple of pics, one from each side. There's something else interesting...on my .22 there's no "S" stamped on the receiver, only the "F" and the notch for the selector.

I thought 922r only applies to center-fire

This is true.

It was a Jager (sp?) AP-80 and the seller backed out on our deal and sold it to someone else.

Saw one of those in the Cabela's gun library the other week for like $400 I think. I'd never heard of them before then, so I figure they can't be that great. Do you know something I don't?

Good looking work, BTW. Wish I had some neat toys like that. :cryss:

Edited by JanusthePhoenix
with a detachable mag? do your homework. I dont think so.

People use the Butler Creek 25rd Hot Lips mags in their Krinker Plinker 10/22s all the time Ben, not to mention the 50 rd drum from Promag...maybe since they are not imported guns that could make a difference, but they do have PGs, AK HGs, and folding Krink stocks.

Oh yeah...I also got rid of those fugly screw heads on the factory mags. Cut them off and slotted the shanks instead. Looks much nicer. I can't believe they didn't do something similar at the factory...

post-1293-1248068060_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1248068077_thumb.jpg

and how much of the krinker plinker is US made?

you think they send it here with a ten round mag for shits and giggles?

I have to deal with Tom, Vicki, then the BATF if i get it wrong......do your own homework.

The "Krinker Plinker" isn't a gun at all, bvamp.

It's a "dress up" set for your Ruger 10/22 that turns it into a "krinker plinker".

Well it would be nice to know the definitive answer to all the 922r crap before I go and mod this 50 rd Promag drum to work with it, or even put the Hot Lips in there to get 25.....but can we please not hijack this thread with speculation?

Well it would be nice to know the definitive answer to all the 922r crap before I go and mod this 50 rd Promag drum to work with it, or even put the Hot Lips in there to get 25.....but can we please not hijack this thread with speculation?

Rimfire firearms are not covered under the 922r.

Get to hammerin'

My only comment is that had you used weiger mags, you wouldnt have had to mill the flats... They would fit right in the rifle with only the lugs taken off... and you would have to do that to fit the inserts anyways... The polymer mags that come with them are real 5.56 mags with the same top-side dims as the weigers, before they are hacked to make the 22LR magazines. I thought about doing that to mine... but I wasnt going to waste good weigers on it... and since I dont have a Mill... I will stick with the mags I got. LOL :up:

:smoke:

Cool Norty thanks man! Yeah that's why I used this one...and because it was Romanian of course. It had a small ding in the spine that was rubbing the follower. NP now....

Indy thanks for the tip bro, but I didn't have any Weigers to work with. Me still don't want no German mags in me AK...lol....not unless I get an EG one or an STG from IO. I do have some Bulgy double circle 10 AK-74 mags I may try though...

Sending PM now Norty!

I can't believe how much you changed the WASR, you may not have gotten it if I knew it had that much potential. Very nice, think thats now a Cobra-22. We may be working on one for me soon!!!

Any rifle that comes into my shop has huge potential man. Thank for hooking me up with it for helping you build up your Saiga. Anytime you need help with one of these or whatever, come on down again bro! :smoke:

Amazing! You turned a nifty rifle into an amazing one. What do you think you'd charge (with all customer-supplied parts, WASR-22 and AK mag) each for your time to make those proper-looking .22 magazines?