Just got back from the range

I just put 200 rounds of the Wallyworld Winchester birdshot through my Saiga. I had 3 FTEs out of the entire batch. All 3 FTEs occurred on the last round of my 5rnd factory magazine, and were all within the first 30 rounds fired.

After the 3rd FTE, I paid extra attention to pulling the gun back into my shoulder and getting a firm grip when firing... that was all that was needed I guess.

After 180 rounds, I started bump firing it and could not get another FTE with the last 4 magazines. :smoke: The lube on the rails did not wear down after 200 rounds. +1 to BronCobraJet for suggesting reel grease on the rails!

Before polishing the rails and other points of contact within the firearm, this crap would not cycle at all. Thanks to Paulyski who suggested taking the paint off the rails! :wub:

Sadly I did not bring my slugs with me. I wanted to make sure that she wasn't overgassed on the bigger loads. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

I am so happy right now. I ordered a bunch of stuff from various vendors here for my conversion and hopefully I'll have her finished up by next Saturday for some pretty photos. :D

Sounds good!

If it will cycle the shotgun on setting number 1, using low brass ammo that would be a good indicator that it's over gassed.

Nah, it will not cycle the lowbrass on setting #1. In fact, it was barely cycling the crappy Winchester stuff on #2 setting... I think that after it got broken in it was working better.

After putting 200 rounds through it, i pulled out another box and tried firing it on setting #1 again, and every round FTE'd.

I still need to put slugs through it tomorrow to know for sure what is going on. I put a small piece of masking tape on my trunnion and then fire. If the carrier strikes the trunnion, it will leave a mark on the tape. If there is impact, I will get on of the gunfixer plugs.

Took my new Saiga 12 out to the range today as well. Mine ran great too. My shootin' buddy was so impressed he went to the gun shop and ordered one as soon we finished shooting. Now I'm going to have to crack open a cold one, actually the third one, purely for medicinal purposes of course, to reduce the swelling in my shoulder. This is a great weapon!

I hear ya there. I got a cheapo Limbsaver stretched over the factory buttstock... mind you the kick on the saiga is tame compared to a pump action shotty...

Even pump shotties pale in comparison to my 8mm mauser. I fire that thing with just the metal buttplate... no mods have been done to the gun other than adding a Mojo microclick rear sight.

After about 50 rounds, my shoulder starts feeling the love, and I resort to unorthodox measures to absorb the recoil...

IMG00258.jpg

Note: I am an Arizona native, and I cannot tolerate the cold at all. It was early summer and about 100 degrees when this photo was taken, but I was still wearing my field jacket!

Edited by zenmetsu

I'm just the opposite. I can't tolerate the heat. I live on the Northern Commifornia coast. It doesn't get above 70 degrees in the summer. Sometimes gets pretty humid though. Just thinking about 100 degrees makes me start to sweat. At 2 pm today it was 58 degress and cloudy. We can go days without sunshine during the summer and we have many foggy nights and mornings during the summer here.

Just thinking about 100 degrees makes me start to sweat.

LOL, wow, I consider 100 degrees decent weather. It's the 120+ that makes me wish I was dead.

zenmetsu,

Is that Rio? Nice Mauser.

Yup. Rio Salado. Going there this morning with a friend to shoot some more. I want to make sure that my Saiga is not overgassed now. Will probably bring the mauser with me as well so that I can tag the 300yd gong a few times.

Just noticed that I had the original rear sight installed on those pics. Must have been from before I got the Mojo.

A little Clover Cbompound on the rails will expedite the polishing that occurs with normal break-in. Just put it in, work the action a thousand times or so by hand, and then flush it out good. I used to lap in FALs like that.

I just put 200 rounds of the Wallyworld Winchester birdshot through my Saiga. I had 3 FTEs out of the entire batch. All 3 FTEs occurred on the last round of my 5rnd factory magazine, and were all within the first 30 rounds fired.

After the 3rd FTE, I paid extra attention to pulling the gun back into my shoulder and getting a firm grip when firing... that was all that was needed I guess.

After 180 rounds, I started bump firing it and could not get another FTE with the last 4 magazines. :smoke: The lube on the rails did not wear down after 200 rounds. +1 to BronCobraJet for suggesting reel grease on the rails!

Before polishing the rails and other points of contact within the firearm, this crap would not cycle at all. Thanks to Paulyski who suggested taking the paint off the rails! :wub:

Sadly I did not bring my slugs with me. I wanted to make sure that she wasn't overgassed on the bigger loads. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

I am so happy right now. I ordered a bunch of stuff from various vendors here for my conversion and hopefully I'll have her finished up by next Saturday for some pretty photos. :D

Hey that is really cool! I'm glad the reel grease worked for you as well, but I can't take credit - I read it somewhere here awhile back and the RemOil just wasn't doing it for me, so I decided to try it out. It works awesome! That is a pretty cool tip with the masking tape on the trunnion as well. I will check that next time I go shooting. I haven't polished anything up since I did my conversion, and there are a few rough spots/high spots I need to knock down. I need to get some Cratex wheels for my dremel. I don't if you have seen my "butt ugly" hybrid gun, but I've got an AR grip on it and a Romanian Wire folding stock. I posted a link to my photbucket site, and a lot of people looked, but there weren't many responses, ie, "looks great" or "cool looking" HA ha. Yeah I know it looks like an ugly Hienze 57 Mongrel, but it does what I need it to do, is very compact, and after 345 rounds last trip out, my shoulder was only slightly sore for a day. The 3" Winchester 00 Buck DID kick as hard as the MonteCarlo stock it had when it was new, but I can seriously shoot ALL day with the wire stock (and I think the angle of the AR grip plays an important role) and not feel a thing. 50/50 cheap value rounds and Wolf/Winchester 00 Buck. It is built for comfort, not style. My next one will be more traditional looking. I love it. Pics at http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/broncobra/weapons/ I lived in Houston for 12 years, and moved back to Nebr about 15 years ago, and STILL can't stand the cold here! Ungodley heat is the only way to go. I've wore a coat all summer here. Let us know how your next outing goes!

Edited by BronCobraJet

Went out again today.

I let a friend shoot off some of my Winchester birdshot, and neither of us ran into any failures.

I cycled some buckshot and slugs and the kick was rather substantial with the 3" 00 Buck rounds, but I was not having trunnion strikes. This came as a surprise because I accidentally fired a round of Winchester birdshot and it cycled on the #1 gas setting.

I will continue to keep an eye on it to make sure that I am not beating the living shit out of the trunnion. I should have some video soon showing the Winchester being cycled. :D

On a side note, one of the rangemasters said that many people had Saigas for 3-gun, but were having feed problems and asked that I share my knowledge. Maybe I can take up 3-gun and spend even more money on ammo and gunstuff... :/