Hi all, I thought that this would be a good place to get some basic info on the Saiga 12 GA. Can someone explain to me the basic procedure of disassembly , cleaning and reassembly of this type of shotgun?I have read the manual provided by EAA. It is mostly warnings and very little technical information. They do not even mention the setting1&2 for shooting ligt or heavy loads. I am not familar with the Ak type of firearm. Also I have been looking online for an extra 5 round magazine for it but I cannot seem to find any as most websites that sell Saiga mags seem to be out of the 12 GA. Mags.Do you know where to find one? Thanks for your hepl. JoJo :devil:

Push in the spring loaded pin in the retainer of the rear of the receiver dust cover... slide the dust cover up and back... then slide the spring and pin deal forward out of the groove it rides in ( at the back of the receiver) once free of the receiver, lift it UP gently, and slide it out to the back, the spring will slide out of the bolt carrier.

If the hammer is in the "ready to fire" position, slide the bolt carrier to the rear of the receiver, and it will lift up and out... towards the back.... If the hammer is in the "already fired" position, place it in the ready to fire position with the thumb, so that it locks in place, allowing removal of the gas piston/bolt carrier.

NOTE on the carrier how the bolt ROTATES... you will need it to be in the far forward position when reinstalling the bolt/bolt carrier assembly in the receiver. It will ALSO need slight downward pressure to compress the hammer spring, as you INSTALL THE BOLT AND BOLT CARRIER....

Just to be clear, I use the term "PISTON" for two separate parts. One in the gas tube , and one attached to the bolt carrier... make sure you know which one I refer to, when....

As far as the gas tube, you can unscrew the front... and remove the front piston and gas tube cover. make a note of which position it will be in, depending on which number you have selected for the gas system. You can tll by the angled cut in the cover, which way to set it for light or magnum loads.

Cleaning is like *ANY* shotgun....

use a bore mop with powder solvent in the bore, then a bronzephosphor brush, followed with cleaning patches till they come out clean. DO the same with a smaller size mop/brush for the gas tube. probably a .410 or similar caliber mop and brush will fit it nicely...

I use the gun scrubber spray to clean my actions... no dissasembly needed, just spray it clean, and let it drain out one side... then wipe down the rifle of any swag that came out of it...

Follow that with some spray type oil/rust protectorant Like wd-40 or SHEATH... just a LIGHT coat in the receiver, and on the FCG... and a HINT in the gas tube...

Clean the gas piston/bolt carrier with some powder solvent, and then coat lightly with oil... LIGHTLY... not dripping... best thing is to wipe it with an oily cloth... too much oil in the gas tube will cause your gun to smoke from the heat of firing...the firing pin shopuld be almost LOOSE feeling in the bolt... this is best acheived by SPRAYING it out with something similar to "gun scrubber"

reassemble opposite of dissasembly...

insert gas piston, thread on gas tube cover, seating it ALL THE WAY, then backing it off slightly till the proper setting is where you want it... be SURE to lube the threads on that gas port cover...

Insert the bolt into the bolt carrier, making sure to get it properly in position.

Insert the carrier assembly at the REAR of the receiver, note the flanges on the carrier and the rails below the top of the receiver.. you will need to push DOWN on the hammerspring to get the bolt carrier to SEAT properly in the receiver, it may take some practice, but it will go SMOOTHLY WHEN ITS RIGHT!!! *DO NOT FORCE IT*..... I have taken saigas and ak's apart hundreds of times and SOMETIMES I still need to FIDDLE with it to go in JUST RIGHT... BE PATIENT... if its RIGHT it will slide in... and slide forward.

Once slid in place forward to the FULL FORWARD position, insert the spring, and replace the rear of the spring retainer in the grooves of the receiver... your action should NOW cycle by hand as flawlessly as if it were ready to fire...

IF SO....

replace the dust cover, by aligning the TOP FRONT in the curved slot for it, and then quickly slapping the rear in place. the pin should pop thru the hole in the dust cover, locking it in place... AGAIN..... DO NOT *FORCE* IT.... just a gentle quick smack... I have had them take a few tries myself, still, sometimes they just dont wanna line up perfectly, and it takes one or two tries... no hurry... be patient.. it will go and GO SMOOTHLY...

That is REALLY about all there is to it... If you have cleaned a gun before this is not any different... just different peices to clean, but the same scenario...

Clean, oil, shoot....repeat... LOL

:smoke:

Edited by IndyArms

Yes, I use a brush in the gas tube... it gets pretty cruddy after a lot of shooting, so that helps to really clean that biotch out! :P

I just dont want any buildup in it... and it only takes a few seconds extra to brush it... before swabbing...

hehehehe

:smoke: