...I certainly can't think of any other Kalashnikov wearing the Izhevsk Arsesnal "Arrow-in-triangle" stamp that has ever come into the country that has more authentic Izhmash manufactured parts than the SGL-31...

Uh, the SGL-21? ;) It may not have more authentic Izhmash parts, but it has the same number, (closest thing you can buy to an AK-103 in the US).

Didn't the 20 and 21 both had a Bulgarian front sight block? I think the only difference between a 20 and a 21 was that the 21 had the intact accessory lug on the Russian gas block - but from the photos I've seen of an SGL-20 and -21, the FSB's are bulgy...

If you say so. I guess I don't know enough about how the Bulgarian and Russian fsb's differ to be able to easily tell them apart. It does seem odd that they would use a Bulgarian fsb on those rifles though.. since they are basically built by Legion as the SGL-31's are. I thought the only thing Arsenal did to the 20's/21's is replace the furniture, triggerguard, and triggergroup. :unsure:

On the 7.62x39 rifles Arsenal adds a bulgy fsb, a US made muzzle brake, a bulgy gas tube and handguard retainer as well as a gas tube cover of undetermined origin (probably US since it matches their other furniture) and their US triggergroup. Don't get me wrong, the SGL-10,20 and especially 21 are all worth owning, but the 31 has many more Russian parts. I really, really, really want one. :smoke:

I certainly can't think of any other Kalashnikov wearing the Izhevsk Arsesnal "Arrow-in-triangle" stamp that has ever come into the country that has more authentic Izhmash manufactured parts than the SGL-31.

What? Who the hell do you think makes Saigas? Izhmash.

I certainly can't think of any other Kalashnikov wearing the Izhevsk Arsesnal "Arrow-in-triangle" stamp that has ever come into the country that has more authentic Izhmash manufactured parts than the SGL-31.

What? Who the hell do you think makes Saigas? Izhmash.

Yes of course Izhmash makes the Saigas - but we're talking about part count AFTER the Saiga has been converted to standard AK configuration. After the conversion, the SGL-31 has the most authentic configuration you can buy. Basically, the GB and FSB are the hard parts here. For a long time, the FSB has been available from Oleg at Rusmilitary... so it's not such a big deal... But the real Russian gas block with intact lugs is a really big deal. Those have never been offered, and have never come into the country except very recently on the SGL-21,and the SGL-31. The only exception to that is the Yunkers air rifle which did have an intact lugged Russian gasblock, but those came into the country punch-pressed, not pinned... so basically you had to drill them out to get them off, which basically ruined them in my opinion.

So I stick with my statement. The SGL-31 is the most authentic Saiga "conversion" that has ever been offered in the US. This is fundamentally a true statement.

We can argue all day about things we can't prove, like where the bullet guide is riveted (i.e., Izhevsk vs Las Vegas).. but there is no arguing about the sentence I wrote above. The SGL-31 is simply the most authentic Izhmash battle rifle ever made available in the US. With a folding stock and Russian handguards, it's virtually identical to a Russian Izhmash AK-74M.

-Thirtycal