Brand New Saiga 12 Owner to say hello & ask a few questions

Yeah blue should be ok or if you don't wana do the retainer plate you can use e clips the hammer pin and trigger pin are the ones that you will be reusing you will notice they have a grove on one side if you bring that pin to the hardware store you can find the e clips or order a plate just make shure the plate is for the s-12 if you where closer I could help but guess not but there is enough info on here it should be a snap

I forgot to ask since I'll only be needing the FCG kit would Red Locktite be better? Thanks for the generous offer to help had we been in close proximity...appreciate that!

Yeah blue should be ok or if you don't wana do the retainer plate you can use e clips the hammer pin and trigger pin are the ones that you will be reusing you will notice they have a grove on one side if you bring that pin to the hardware store you can find the e clips or order a plate just make shure the plate is for the s-12 if you where closer I could help but guess not but there is enough info on here it should be a snap

I shouldn't need the parts that yuou mentioned as I purchased the Tromix DIY G2 trigger kit & Tromix FCG package. Greg at Carolina confirmed that the FCG has everything I need!

He did also explain that the non-push pin stock folding mechanism for the Tromix LS stock locks up tighter. Do any of you guys have either to comment?

Good news: my neighbor is going to help me with the conversion next week; a sigh of relief! I gotta get the S12 out this weekend and test fire her to confirm I don't have a Vodka Special.

I'm gonna research this tonight but should the initial break in be hotter loads (#1 setting) or Wallymart stuff? I think I read that 50 rounds is the recommended round count. I do recall some WM brands were better than others.

User heavier loads on setting 1 during the break in...slugs buck high velocity etc. Mine wouldn't even cycle the lighter Winchester AA's until after about 200 rounds.

...He did also explain that the non-push pin stock folding mechanism for the Tromix LS stock locks up tighter. Do any of you guys have either to comment?

You're wondering about the difference between ACE folding mechanisms? The "regular", (and cheaper), ACE folding mech locks up very tight. The ACE push-button folding mech has a bit of side-to-side play in the hinge when the stock is extended. I have the push-button folder. My hinge has a little of that play to it. However, when I have the shotgun shouldered, it locks up tight and doesn't wiggle.. which is the only time it really matters.

Anyway, if you get the cheaper ACE folding mech it takes a bit more effort to fold and unfold the stock, but it locks up solid.

Good news: my neighbor is going to help me with the conversion next week; a sigh of relief! I gotta get the S12 out this weekend and test fire her to confirm I don't have a Vodka Special.

Wise move. If it had been a vodka gun, you'd need to send it to CGW before converting restoring it for the repairs to be covered under the warranty. I think the time of vodka S-12 runs is over. The S-12's manufactured from early this year on seem to all have 3 holes and run fine, (as mine does).

I'm gonna research this tonight but should the initial break in be hotter loads (#1 setting) or Wallymart stuff? I think I read that 50 rounds is the recommended round count. I do recall some WM brands were better than others.

Use high-brass to break in your S-12. Slugs, buck, whatever, so long as they're powerful shells. Use the lowest gas setting that will cycle your gun. It depends on the gun, (they're all a little different), but generally the recommended break-in is 50-100 high-brass shells. Once your S-12 is broken in, it should reliably cycle cheap low-brass birdshot. If you're shopping for that at Wallworld, buy the Federal value pack. It has more punch than the Winchester.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

What you're after is to see if the gun functions properly. You should get some light bird shot and some buck. Make sure the gun cycle the light ammo on setting 2. If it doesn't, try the buck on setting 1. If it still doesn't cycle ammo properly, try the buck on setting 2. Still no go, you prolly have a "Vodka Special".

I was thinking that more powerful loads on setting #1 was the right way to break her in. I have another SG that is pending my Form 4 ATF transfer and the maufacturer told me to only use 1 1/8 oz, 3 dram or higher for the first 100 - 150 then switch to the "reduced recoil" loads.

I bought a case of Winchester 00 9 pellet Military Grade - green hull / high brass is black anodized for the SBS but I think I'll run some of these thru the S12. I'll report back on the results.

Edited by kwesi