I had/have a Creative Labs S750, 7.1 surround system, 750 watt, for my computer and loved the hell out of it. It was THX certified and plug and play into the computer with an Audigy 2 sound card. Unfortunately, they put all 7 amps in the subwoofer box, and heat kills the amps after awhile. I am looking to upgrade to a better system and wondered what some of you might have been successful with. I loved the hell out of the Creative setup, but they no longer make it. They offer a 550 watt system, and Logitech has a 550 watt system as well. If anyone has experience with PC sound, please let me know. I want to go bigger and better. I don't own a tv and all of my entertainment comes from my computer, and I like to crank my music and have it clear and loud at times. If anyone knows who could fix my S750, that would be good also. I'm going nuts with a pair of small monitor speakers in the meantime. Thank you ahead of time.

ya know, one thing I always believed and stuck to with my music and other entertainment, was you gotta build it twice as loud than ya want....and I HATE unwanted distortion and hiss......absolutely hate it....

now, if you have a thermaling problem or issue with your amp, and its in the speaker compartment, and you are limited for space, I would suggest finding the 5 volt source (ICs are almost all 5 volt source) and putting a small low noise computer fan in the box, and making sure that your exhaust vent is the same size as your intake vent.

In your case, (hah) it is a sub cabinet as you stated, and unless sealed from the factory from being integraeted into the sound chamber of the sub, you shouldnt do this, as it will alter the tuned sub's capabilities.

also, if this is out of the question, you might be able to "slot" the underside and upside of the sub cabinet, again, if seperated acoustically from the sub chamber, and let heat rising do the trick.

otherwise, I would look to seperate the amps from the sub, and ventalate that. If you cant do this, get a dupe, and use one for the speaker and one for the equipment. a little hand wiring might do you well in that case.....

I would have to see the design and properties of the actual cabinet to give you a better answer, really......sorry so unspecific. I think you can get the idea, though.

let me know if you get stuck, i dont check the forums much in detail nowadays.....

Hey Ben, I took the back plate off the sub compartment, and slid it out to check for heat source spots, bulged capacitors and such, and found nothing. There are several boards in there, what with being 7 amps and all, and it is kind of cramped for space. There is another set on ebay that I will try to buy, and seperate the amp structure from the sub box and put a fan on it if I win the auction. For anyone that works on computer repair, it shouldn't be a big deal, but there are like 3 motherboards inside the box, and everything looked normal to me. I did not electronically test anything except the main fuse. It really sucks SO bad to go from earth pounding bass to monitor speakers, when nothing else is really available plug and play.

is the amp compartment seperate from the acoustic compartment ? and can ya get me a pic?

a couple points come to mind -

-low amps for power, should be double to triple to your box for power

-low ventalation to your components, thus thermaling, which can and will happen if your voltage or amperage is off on the low side, as well......

-vibration may break the threshold of hot to cold component state

....this is interesting to me, not some computer problem or overclocking error.....

I will note, that a lot of the time, air is vented in with fans, and not properly vented back out, or "let loose" as would be the case.....this really does sound like a thermalling problem, to me. either by low amperage or low ventalation, or both. use caution to not detune your cabinet.....

...but im no expert, anymore :) what would I know

For my next home system speaker set up, I am going to build the "Blue Wonders" from the Parts Express website. (www.parts-express.com). They have a chat room thing where a lot of people in the know build and design stuff way better than what is on the market, and give you the plans and specs of what you might want to build for yourself. All the technical parameters are there. In the case of my Creative Lab sub, I will build a seperate enclosure for the amps since they are all mounted on a plate, and put a fan in it as well. I will have to use wood blocks or something to take up the space in the original sub cabinet to make up for the difference in volume that the amps took up. It's kind of a pain in the butt, but the Creative system really rocked when it worked. Too bad they discontinued it. I don't have a problem building the speaker boxes and such, but when it comes to the electronics and the 7.1 for my computer, I'm in a steep learning curve.

Edited by BronCobraJet

There's nothing that says you have to use sound equipment made by computer part vendors. :)

I have a small stereo receiver sitting next to my computer and a set of speakers for it. I have the output of my sound card plugged into the Tape Monitor on the receiver. I've had friends tell me it's the best computer sound setup they've ever heard. And that's just with a small/cheap off the shelf Radio Shack receiver/speakers that's about 30 years old.

Personally, I don't have the need for window rattling sound on my 'puter, but there's no reason I couldn't add a bigger receiver/amp and sub if I wanted to. If I did, I'd likely use home theater stuff.

>>If anyone knows who could fix my S750, that would be good also.

Any local TV/Stereo repair shop should be able to fix it.

I am not to sold on the whole "compact" sub-woofer thing... Sure they make decent sound, But I like GREAT sound that pulsates the walls. I am not to keen on spending so much on top end receivers (Yeah, I'm cheap!), so I use:

1- AKAI AA-1125 stereo receiver (late 70's type HI-FI system) these things have power. ($30.00 @ goodwill) :super:

2- Sterling 12" subbed 4 way, mid range horn & 2 tweeters that I replaced w/ infinity titanium tweeters for crisper highs.

2- Kenwood 15" subbed 3 way with mids & tweets replaced w/ infinity. I put the speakers in Sansui boxes because they are thicker particle board, hence better bass.

I took an long headphone cable & simply soldered RCA jacks to input from my laptop to the "phono" input on the receiver.

If I turn the volume up 1/2 way, not so small items begin to creep off shelves. :eyes_droped:

It is by far a powerful enough system to provide the music for a great Keger.

The rest of the time I have the volume turned WAY down.

The only thing it could use is an E.Q.

Sounds as good (but much more powerful) than Pop's 7 speaker Bose. (& I set it up for less than $250.00)

Personally I don't believe in anything but headphones for pc...I use Logitech USB350's. They have good bass, but apparently they're pretty cheaply made, because I change them like underwear. At $40 a pop it's getting ridiculous...think I'll go with Panasonics when my current set craps out. For my tv I have the Panasonic SC-PT960 1250W 5.1 wireless. Really good system that doesn't break the bank, and the bass can shake the house off its foundation.