Anyone tried these 7.62(.311) projectiles?

I think I have a bag of those...

Supposedly they were .311 but every one MIC's out at .308...

That's where the dreams of accurate .308 loads including them ended... They might make great plinking rounds but for accuracy they were lacking... I got 2" groups or so at 100 yards out of the F/TR... not to say they wont shoot better out of something else... although the F/TR does like the heavier stuff... so... :unsure:

The cannelure groove on them is rather deep... and not consistent between rounds... they look like 4 or 5 different STYLES of bullets all dumped in the same bag. I also had to tumble them as when I got them they were VERY dull... The few I weighed out were close... I suppose I could weigh and sort but I dont think they would be accurate enough to waste the time on that activity...

:smoke:

Those are 147 grain bullets. I'm almost certain that they will be too long. If you seat them normally your OAL will be way out of spec: won't fit in magazines and won't feed. If you try to seat them super deep there won't be any flat on the bullet left to crimp against.

Plus, 147 is super heavy for 7.62x39. If they do happen to fit (though I doubt it), get a trusted reloading book and START LIGHT. Good luck!

Edit: just wanted to add that they're probably fine bullets for .303 British or 7.62x54R. 147 grain is a very common weight for 7.62x54R light ball ammo.

Edited by aresv

Those are 147 grain bullets. I'm almost certain that they will be too long. If you seat them normally your OAL will be way out of spec: won't fit in magazines and won't feed. If you try to seat them super deep there won't be any flat on the bullet left to crimp against.

Plus, 147 is super heavy for 7.62x39. If they do happen to fit (though I doubt it), get a trusted reloading book and START LIGHT. Good luck!

Edit: just wanted to add that they're probably fine bullets for .303 British or 7.62x54R. 147 grain is a very common weight for 7.62x54R light ball ammo.

The Lee Die Set I bought gives load data for bullets up to 150 grains. These are not VLD bullets, they are military ball. The bearing surface of the projectile extends for quite a ways beyond the cannelure. 24 grains worth of bullet, at least.

The Lee Factory crimp die should be able to crimp the case mouths into the copper plating of the bullet, irregardless of the cannelure's location.

In any case, I'll load some and post back with my results.

• 4 weeks later...