My Idea of a Saiga Conversion

Nice, you should try to get a pic of the whole family of OD green soldiers. Did you do any prep work to the rail or did you just spray it? I really like how just the inside is painted and the actual rails are still black.

Thanks, I will try to take some pics tomorrow. I used denatured alcohol to clean the rail before spraying to make sure that there was no grease or oils present. I masked the areas that I wanted to keep black and then just sprayed it.

How much does it weigh?

With a full ten round magazine it weighs just under nine pounds.

Here is my idea of a Conversion.

My link

I do actually own a Saiga 7.62 x 39 rifle with 20" BBL.

So your idea of a Saiga conversion (as stated in the thread title) is an M1A national match rifle? Oooooohkay, you lost me there. It's a nice rifle but I don't get how it's a Saiga conversion.

• Like 1

Nice, you should try to get a pic of the whole family of OD green soldiers. Did you do any prep work to the rail or did you just spray it? I really like how just the inside is painted and the actual rails are still black.

Thanks, I will try to take some pics tomorrow. I used denatured alcohol to clean the rail before spraying to make sure that there was no grease or oils present. I masked the areas that I wanted to keep black and then just sprayed it.

How much does it weigh?

With a full ten round magazine it weighs just under nine pounds.

Here is my idea of a Conversion.

My link

I do actually own a Saiga 7.62 x 39 rifle with 20" BBL.

So your idea of a Saiga conversion (as stated in the thread title) is an M1A national match rifle? Oooooohkay, you lost me there. It's a nice rifle but I don't get how it's a Saiga conversion.

My idea of a Saiga conversion was a little tongue in cheek humor. I really like my 7.62 X 39 20" BBL "AS Is" so my conversion would be a total one to the Springfield Armory Match M1A.

Converting my Saiga would still leave me with a Saiga.

My idea of a Saiga conversion was a little tongue in cheek humor. I really like my 7.62 X 39 20" BBL "AS Is" so my conversion would be a total one to the Springfield Armory Match M1A.

Ahh, I thought that might be what you meant but thought maybe I was missing something. Why not make it an Accuracy International, a Tikka, or a Barrett? All of those rifles are exponentially more expensive than the Saiga also, and all are arguably better rifles too. I would love a Springfield M1A but the $2000 is a tough pill to swallow right now. Maybe someday...

Ahh, I thought that might be what you meant but thought maybe I was missing something. Why not make it an Accuracy International, a Tikka, or a Barrett? All of those rifles are exponentially more expensive than the Saiga also, and all are arguably better rifles too. I would love a Springfield M1A but the $2000 is a tough pill to swallow right now. Maybe someday...

I like the idea of a quality US Made semi auto rifle in .308 caliber. The .308 is my caliber of choice because of it also being a military round although the military is in the process of converting over to the 300 Win Mag. Lots of different cartridges available for the .308 makes it a good choice for me since I don't reload.

So get a Saiga 308, hell even the M1A isnt really American made so why even bother. Ive used both and in practical terms the difference between Saiga and the M1A isnt that great except that the Saiga will likely never fail even if I forget to clean it for a few years.

So get a Saiga 308, hell even the M1A isnt really American made so why even bother. Ive used both and in practical terms the difference between Saiga and the M1A isnt that great except that the Saiga will likely never fail even if I forget to clean it for a few years.

Yeah, but a Saiga 308 is still a Saiga and the SA M1A is USA assembled and still is a semi-auto M14 design.I would put the SA M1A Match Grade rifle against the Saiga any day shooting at 200 yards or more.The inherit design of the AK47 limits its accuracy no mater what you do to it.The AK is a great weapon for which it was designed but comparing to the M14 design the AK comes up lacking in several areas.

I own a Saiga 7.62 x 39 20.5 "BBL and like it very much but the Honda car I drive does not compare to a Lexus although I like the Honda very much.