Does anyone head space a new saiga?

Is there any need or do you just rely on the factory?

I was thinking about this because someone brought up the topic of changing out a bolt and head spacing, so I was just wondering if anyone ever checked a new gun.

Head what? This is AK, not AR15. This rifle was designed to shoot your enemy dead, not to impress him with modern design. Leave all that crap to AR people.

I don't THINK anyone here has done this.. Maybe 'Vankiller' or Nalioth (sp) can give insight on this..

I have a 1943' MN 91/30. I bought it for like $89 last year. I did not CHECK it. It was MATCHING numbers though..

Just loaded it. Leaned way back and fired it.

Nothing exploded and 80 rounds later I'm feeling pretty safe..

I read 'THAT POST' too on AK parts and it mentioned head spacing with replacement BOLTS and such...

Edited by YouWontHearItComing

I was thinking about this because someone brought up the topic of changing out a bolt and head spacing, so I was just wondering if anyone ever checked a new gun.

There is a headspace go and a no-go spec for the 7.62x39 Russian, but I would bet the com-bloc spec would not be as tight as the SAAMI spec is, just as NATO specs are somewhat different.

Here is a 7.62x39 go/no-go gauge set, but with these AK type rifles you could be pissing in the wind using that set to make a determination on the headspace. Maybe we could get some input here from a 'smith who knows.

In any case, these rifles are test fired and come with a test group size recorded when new. Any problems should have been evident, then.

Edited by 1mile50

There is a headspace go and a no-go spec for the 7.62x39 Russian, but I would bet the com-bloc spec would not be as tight as the SAAMI spec is, just as NATO specs are somewhat different.

Here is a 7.62x39 go/no-go gauge set, but with these AK type rifles you could be pissing in the wind using that set to make a determination on the headspace. Maybe we could get some input here from a 'smith who knows.

In any case, these rifles are test fired and come with a test group size recorded when new. Any problems should have been evident, then.

Good points.... I forgot the TEST firing and SPEC Sheet.. I think the mfg would have noticed a hurt employee..