Anyone know where to find a new mag release spring?

Any leads on new mag release springs?

I searched & couldn't find any info on replacement mag release springs.

I gas welded my T.G. & annealed mine accidently. :oops:

post-19652-1252545445.gif

Now it is not as strong.

I did however find the thread on how to remove & replace them.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...ag+catch+spring

Just no new spring info

Any body have a spare to sell?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by Paulyski

Now it is not as strong.

Just no new spring info

Just so happens, I have run into this problem. I had a mag release spring go missing because the retaining pin walked out. Thanks for the adventure Izhmash!

If you have converted your gun, and still have the retaining spring for the axis pins, you can fabricate a mag release spring. You will need a nail roughly the same diameter as the release paddle retaining pin. Cut off the looped section of the original axis pin retaining spring leaving the straight section of the spring intact. Using two sets of vice grips secure both ends of the straight form the center loops of the spring around the nail or whatever you have found that is roughly equivalent. You won't have enough spring for four loops as in the original spring, but the axis pin spring is sturdier, and three loops will do.

Try to match the diameter of the loops and the straight end sections of the spring as closely as possible to the original. The straight ends of the spring are roughly equidistant.

Re-installing the spring, and retaining pin is almost as much fun as finding a new one or fabricating one yourself.

Keep small children and religious fanatics away from your work area, as you will find yourself swearing a great deal during the re-installation process.

If you don't want to fabricate the spring yourself - check with Cadiz Gun Works, or RAA to see if they have one available.

The above worked fine for me (after much swearing), but there is absolutely no guarantee it will work for you. If all else fails, you can always pay a gunsmith to endure all of the frustration for you.

Good luck!

WS

Now it is not as strong.

Just no new spring info

Just so happens, I have run into this problem. I had a mag release spring go missing because the retaining pin walked out. Thanks for the adventure Izhmash!

If you have converted your gun, and still have the retaining spring for the axis pins, you can fabricate a mag release spring. You will need a nail roughly the same diameter as the release paddle retaining pin. Cut off the looped section of the original axis pin retaining spring leaving the straight section of the spring intact. Using two sets of vice grips secure both ends of the straight form the center loops of the spring around the nail or whatever you have found that is roughly equivalent. You won't have enough spring for four loops as in the original spring, but the axis pin spring is sturdier, and three loops will do.

Try to match the diameter of the loops and the straight end sections of the spring as closely as possible to the original. The straight ends of the spring are roughly equidistant.

Re-installing the spring, and retaining pin is almost as much fun as finding a new one or fabricating one yourself.

Keep small children and religious fanatics away from your work area, as you will find yourself swearing a great deal during the re-installation process.

If you don't want to fabricate the spring yourself - check with Cadiz Gun Works, or RAA to see if they have one available.

The above worked fine for me (after much swearing), but there is absolutely no guarantee it will work for you. If all else fails, you can always pay a gunsmith to endure all of the frustration for you.

Good luck!

WS

Thanks.

If all else fails I still have hope now!

I will check w/ Cadiz tomorrow. I think they are on the east coast.

Once again thanks.

I think I have enough vulgar language at my disposal to fab that up if need be.

BTW, as a metalsmith - I am always wary of applying extremely high heat to the receiver when it is not absolutely necessary. It is a personal preference, but I prefer to drill, tap, and bolt trigger guards to the receiver rather than welding them. A bit of blue locktite can do wonders, and if you need to remove the trigger guard for any reason, you won't have to grind it off to do so.

Tromix makes a well engineered bolt on trigger guard with an integrated safety stop. It may be worth a look for your next project.

Once again, good luck with the current project.

WS

BTW, as a metalsmith - I am always wary of applying extremely high heat to the receiver when it is not absolutely necessary. It is a personal preference, but I prefer to drill, tap, and bolt trigger guards to the receiver rather than welding them. A bit of blue locktite can do wonders, and if you need to remove the trigger guard for any reason, you won't have to grind it off to do so.

Tromix makes a well engineered bolt on trigger guard with an integrated safety stop. It may be worth a look for your next project.

Once again, good luck with the current project.

WS

Yeah, I was apprehensive about welding it, but I want something different than the others.

I fabed up the TG to the selector stop & hit it with my little flux core setup, because it is my coldest welder, but it was not pretty enough. My 240 volt buzz box is to powerful & I spaced (kinda) the heat on spring part about gas. But at least I got it looking good. Plus, I wanted to weld up the original trigger holes like the pro jobs, so I figured "while I'm at it"...

I am trying for something classy. I am refinishing the receiver & polishing it before I blue it. I have a Russian wood AKM stock set that I will be using. I will stain it a mix of 90% red mahogany 10% ebony, to achive my desired tone.

I will not mess with the barrel other than rubbing/polishing compound before I blue it.

It is tempting to finish it & make it smooth, but I am scared of compromising the integrity of the barrel.

Paulski, I believe I have a mag catch spring (from akbuilder.com) floating around my house. If you're interested, shoot me a PM. I'm not sure if it would work with a Saiga, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

PM Sent.

Thanks

Edited by Paulyski
It is a simple spring, a good gunsmith should be able to make you one.

My gunsmith drew a blank when I asked him if he could get a shepards crook. Even when I said axis pin retaining spring. he just stuttered & said that he does not work on AKs much. He does not make springs either. I stopped asking after that.

He did sell an old AR-15 for $500 though & my S-12 was in shop for $550. So at least he is good for something.

I guess it's time to find a new gunsmith.

There is only 1 store in the area where you can dependably find AK stuff. I haven't found a resourceful gunsmith yet. Just a bunch of "spring changers".

I can't even find a smith to cut the barrel & thread, let alone tig-weld on a muzzle break :rolleyes:

Edited by Paulyski
My gunsmith drew a blank when I asked him if he could get a shepards crook. Even when I said axis pin retaining spring. he just stuttered & said that he does not work on AKs much. He does not make springs either. I stopped asking after that. ...

Making a torsion spring is something that any first year Machinist student or apprentice could do. I have not done this stuff in years, but think that I did mine before my threading sample!

There are a lot of guys out there calling themselves gunsmiths, a real one could do this.

OR if you can't find one pre-made...

Do it yourself, here is a guide. I hope this helps!

My gunsmith drew a blank when I asked him if he could get a shepards crook. Even when I said axis pin retaining spring. he just stuttered & said that he does not work on AKs much. He does not make springs either. I stopped asking after that. ...

Making a torsion spring is something that any first year Machinist student or apprentice could do. I have not done this stuff in years, but think that I did mine before my threading sample!

There are a lot of guys out there calling themselves gunsmiths, a real one could do this.

OR if you can't find one pre-made...

Do it yourself, here is a guide. I hope this helps!

Oh that will help...

If not on this endeavor, many others I am sure.

There have been many times when I have gone on a spring search, this will make the process easier.

Thanks for the link.