Brass brush scratches the barrel!

I've had my .45 Baby Eagle for a couple of years now and it's been a great pistol, I like it a lot.

I also take great care of it, and clean it after each trip to the range, properly lube it, etc.

I was cleaning the barrel the other day as directed in the owner's manual with the brass brush that

was supplied with the gun, it also came with a nylon brush. The brass brush is only about half the

diameter of the barrel (maybe for a .22 ?) with extremely stiff and sharp bristles. The nylon brush

is larger and fills the barrel. I always thought that the brass brush was a little harsh for the barrel,

but that's what came with the gun and that's what the manual says to use.

brushk.jpg

"5.To clean the barrel, use the brass wire brush.

Run the brush completely through the chamber

and bore until it protrudes from the other end

of the barrel."

The pic and quote is right from the PDF of the manual. The brass brush is about half the size of the

one in the pic though.

So, I was cleaning (gently) with the brass brush running it up & down the barrel walls while turning the

barrel. I was thinking again how harsh that brush seems to be, so I thought I'd try gently rubbing the

OUTSIDE of the barrel just to see if it scratched it. Well it sure as shit did! It didn't make any deep

scratches, they could easily be polished right out, but still.... WTF?!

Do I really want to be putting thousands of fine scratches through the inside of the barrel?

The barrel appears to be made of hardened stainless and I'm sure would stand up to a softer brass brush.

It seems to clean up fine just with the nylon brush and the typical gun chemicals.

So do any of you guys use a stiff brass brush on your barrels?

If so, are you noticing any scratches in them?

Edited by Spartacus

Are you sure that what you think are scratches are not actually brass transfer from the brush to the barrel? Hardness wise, brass is softer than steel of any kind.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that its just brass transfering onto the steel like a crayon on paper. It would explain why they buff out so easy.

Edited by dngrspot

Good idea and I thought of that, but it doesn't look like it.

It doesn't have that painted on appearance, and it doesn't scratch off with a fingernail.

The scratches are very fine, you can't feel them, but they are definitely there. If I had

been more aggressive with the brush, I'm guessing the scratches would be more serious.

From my searching around the net in different gun forums, I see all kinds of opinions on

the brass brushes. Some say they have used them 20+ years with no problems, and some say

they don't use brushes of any kind in their barrels.

It seems odd to me that the manufacturer of the pistol would specify cleaning methods that

are so destructive. The brushes themselves are cheaply made, the wire that forms the twisted

handles and shafts looks like heavy copper wire and was just cut off on the ends leaving

sharp edges that could also do some damage if used carelessly.

I think maybe the solution here is to scrap these crappy brushes and get some good ones.

I would have much preferred that the manufacturer/importer not include the brushes at all

rather than packing in the cheap ones that damage the barrel.

I'm no metallurgist, but I know what you are saying regarding the hardness of the metals involved.

The brass brush should not be able to scratch the barrel.

There's always the argument that counters that though.... why do hardened knives get dulled by cutting

through wood, fish, meat, bone, etc. ?

Also, what's to guarantee that the metal in the brushes is what it's supposed to be?

Is it possible the brass in the brush was contaminated with another metal?

I know that in theory I should be safe, but the scratches still look like scratches. :)

• 2 weeks later...