Before going all out and converting my S-223 to take AR-15 mags, I was thinking maybe trying to mod Mini-14 mags. Yes it would require a front and rear mag catch to be made. I'm cool with that. I just need to know if the mag will fit in in the first place, ie will the feed lips reach the upper limit, will the follower reach the bolt without being stopped on something below. AR mags with full length feed lips have this problem, and I have developed a conversion for such things but it's irreversible.

So before I cut my gun and slap on an aluminum mag well, could anyone try sticking a Mini-14 mag in their S223 and see if it would feed if it had the attachments tolock in place? I'm thinking this just might work even without a feedramp. It would also provide 3 US compliance parts.

Thanks for any help!

Just for the heck of it, I cut a notch in the back of a AR mag for the mag catch, the front rides in friction wedged up tight againts the front and the bolt rails.

It works, I dont know how reliable, but it cycled fine would probably do in a pinch. You still need a bullet guide though.

For the money there are cheap mags that are better suited.

There is also an adpapter being sold (about 80 bucks) by a guy on AR15.com for galil to M-16 mags, but I think the galil has more room in the magwell than the saiga, so dont think those adapters will work.

I've never been able to get an AR-15 mag deep enough into the mag well. The full length feed lips get in the way. That was the point behind using Mini mags. I could get an AR mag to work in a S-223 easily if I moved the mag well back and used a mag adaptor system like the one I developed for G3 mags in the Saiga 308.

You're right, I dug them back out and tried it again, it didn't cycle all the time, it tends to tip forward and they hit the bullet ramp. You could probably modify them, and the slot needs to be exact in placement or they move around and wont work. The only advantage to me is being able the same mags unaltered, and I dont want the rifle modified so it wont use factory mags its not doable.