Fitting US parts to Saiga 12

I did some work on my Saiga 12 last night. I learned that the safety lever can not be installed once the bolt hold open lever has been installed. (The safety lever opening is partial blocked by the B.H.O. lever. Sorry no picture!) So I took out all of the internals and started all over!

I soon found that the Tapco G2 trigger/sear group rub hard on one side of the receiver opening. Here is a picture:post-1812-1110553415_thumb.jpg

Next I found that the safety lever would get stuck behind the right leg of the trigger. Here's a picture:post-1812-1110553557_thumb.jpg

Here is a compairison between the original Saiga trigger/sear group and the Tapco G2 trigger/sear group.post-1812-1110553648_thumb.jpg

To be continued....

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

The Saiga continues....

Here are a couple of pictures showing the lay out and prick punching of the front trigger guard rivet hole and the pistol grip nut hole.

post-1812-1110554315_thumb.jpg

(Sorry, but the layout image will not upload!)

Next, I used the drill press to drille the holes. I used a Dremel tool and small cut off wheel to connect the dots of pistol grip nut opening. Then I used a triangle file to smooth out the sides of the opening.

post-1812-1110554503_thumb.jpg

Next, I dry fit the trigger guard and my Tapco SAW pistol grip. I am going to have to do some grinding of the pistol grip to get it to fit. More on that latter!

post-1812-1110554679_thumb.jpg

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

I will be converting my Saiga 12 soon with a G2 fcg and a saw grip also. Thanks for your work in documenting the modifications. I did a conversion on my 7.62x39 with no problem. The Saiga 12 reciver looks like the 7.62, but there are a lot of little differances.

• 2 years later...
TTT. This has some of the images that answers questions for me. Don't know if he still hangs on the board but awesome!

I have been coming by a lot lately. I wanted to check out what's new! I'm thinking about changing the ACE butt stock and adaptor on my Saiga and making an adaptor for one of the DS Arms "X" butt stocks like Tromix did. I'll be glad to take some photos of the progress if anyone is interested.

Yours,

Bob Troxell.