Target mount for the woods or the desert (No range))

I know I am stating the obvious to many members, but bear with me, There are people new to the sport that may benefit from this info. thanks.

Where I live, there is nowhere to shoot Long range, Pistol & Shotgun in succession, Therefore the marksmen who want to shoot without idiots to each side of them (that they don't know :rolleyes: ) tend to go to the wilderness. This is also more conducive to practicing your quick draw technique as most ranges seem to frown on this type of practice due to liability issues.

The first times I trekked up into the wilderness to shoot I failed to plan ahead, it was annoying.

So before you go up, take a way to mount your target so that you will be able to get the optimal useage out of it, Therefore the most effective practice.

I use Law enforcement silhouette targets for handguns.

I cut up a large cardboard box & tape it together flat to the same size of the target, & tape or staple the target to the cardboard.

The target then can be nailed to a tree that is slated to be cut down, or attached to a staked 2x4 hammered into the ground.

Cardboard targets cost $10.00 each, at least.

Paper ones cost $1.00

When you shoot it a bunch, staple a new target on top of it. You save a lot of time rather than patch tape circles.

For long range get some Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C targets that make the holes green, & get a spotting scope (Riffle Scope) to check it from a distance so you don't have to hike through the woods to check what you hit.

OF COURSE, STILL CHECK WHAT/WHO MAY BE IN YOUR LINE OF FIRE!!!

ALWAYS BE SURE OF YOUR BACKSTOP.

It is all of our responsibility to be as effective as possible with our firearms, to avoid collateral damage & liability.

Firearms & all the "Tacticool" crap in the world aren't worth a damn if you can not quickly acquire & effectively engage your objective.

In short "If you miss once, you may very well not get a second chance."

:blues:

I use cheap paper plates attaching a shoot-n-see green target or the bright orange dots. A small staple gun with extra staples also comes in handy. I have an old backpack

to carry my stash along with extra ammo and odds and ends. Great topic.

Thanks for posting,

:)

Yakdung

I have had a long-time habit of when I ran out of targets, I will shoot blades of grass or cut weeds down.

Another thing I would do (when I had places to shoot that is), was when I needed a paper target holder, and didnt want to cut down any of the trees out back for firewood, I would string two runs of mason line horizontally, and tape the target top and bottom to them. I hit one of these one time on a quad that I had left out in the woods, so do remember to take them down when you are done! These can be easily rigged to make a moving target as well.....hell Ill even use the string itself as a target when I have nothing else to shoot at.