Converting a stock Saiga .308 to a Galil Pattern?

I did away with that .308 I posted a couple of months ago. I went ahead and measured it's barrel to find that the guy had actually shortened it to 18". I wanted a 22", for the extra muzzle velocity.

So now I've got a line on another, this time FACTORY STOCK, Saiga .308. I've decided I want to convert it to a Galil-style rifle. You know with the front sight on the gas-block and such. I'll use a Texas Weapons Systems scope mount and attach a rear peep sight.

Problem is I've been to KVAR and to Tapco, and I can't find what I'm looking for! Converison parts, yes. Galil sights and gas block, no.

I know I've seen a picture, maybe in the 7.62x39 or .223 threads, of someone who made a conversion to the Galil style. Where did you/he get those parts?

I dont know if you can find an exact gas block unit like that for the 308 bbl.

You might take a look at the Krebs custom made gas block as a close enough substitute?

They make the regular AK model in .591 diameter and also a unit in .629 or .786 that is "Just the thing for AK "experimenters." (they require a 45 degree gas port)

There is a somewhat similar Bolton block but I believe its only in the std AK diameter.

Good luck

HarvKY

I came across this picture of a saiga 308 conversion into Galil. Picture is from Akforum and I believe Red Jacket did the conversion on this rifle.

post-6703-12547363047865_thumb.jpg

Yeah , that looks like one of mine . Basicly , everything from a Galil kit but the bolt and carrier . I think APEX still has a few kit's .

• 6 months later...

I came across this picture of a saiga 308 conversion into Galil. Picture is from Akforum and I believe Red Jacket did the conversion on this rifle.

post-6703-12547363047865_thumb.jpg

Yeah , that looks like one of mine . Basicly , everything from a Galil kit but the bolt and carrier . I think APEX still has a few kit's .

Sorry for the Necropost, but this is pertinent to a project of mine.

Red Jacket - when you say 'everything from a galil kit' do you really mean it? would the gas block and dust cover (rear sight) fit/align properly?

I'm sure this is a simple question, but I'd like to know for certain before I spend dough.

Thanks.

so will normal galil handguards work as long as you get a galil front and rear retainer? been thinking about doing this myself and the tapco galil style just doesn't cut it for me (I like tapco but it's not really galil style.. lets be honest, just doesn't look right if it's not under the gas tube)

edit: btw that is the coolest .308 I've ever seen.

Edited by volkov