RANGE REPORT MONDAY 10/5/09

Hello all,

Well I finally got to break in "From Russia with Love" my .12 guage Saiga... it is a stock 12 with Tapco T6 stock and pistol grip. 2 of the 3 guys invited didn't show so it was just my and my manager at work who has NEVER shot a gun in his life... my saiga broke that cherry... (by the way, guys who have never handled a gun are cool to invite as they are super cautious and you teach them all the good safety habits.. no bad habits or egos to watch out for) I'm going to convert him yet into a true believer... anyways, we were going to shoot skeet but since the arrival of "monsoon season" in Houston the skeet part of the shooting range was shut down... it's a good thing as "From Russia with Love" needed over 150 rounds to be broken in... at first she wouldn't feed properly and wouldn't eject correctly either... it seemed to get much better with he 5 round mag than the 10 round mag... but, as men are instantly ready she proved to be a woman who needed time, patience and lubracation...

my Manager had much fun and we both ended up with hickies on our shoulders (he took pics to prove to his wife where they came from...) and is looking forward to our next trip hopefully it'll be no more than 2 weeks... I also let him shoot my Glock 23c and he loved that as well... one funny thing did happen is a small bird flew and landed infront of the targe we were shooting at... wrong place, wrong time... I took "From Russia with Love" all apart, cleaned and greased up her well, if she has more issues with ejecting the spent shells what should I look into upgrading? would it be a piston issue? it didn't seem to go back far enough to eject... thanks, Bearhead

Hey bearhead, what type of loads where you using?

I'm in the break in process of mine as well and have only been able to fire off 75 wolf slugs so far...for me first 10-15 had failures to eject but after that it was cycling well... all on setting 2 (setting 1 wouldn't cycle for me.)

Went to a range this weekend which only offeed target loads and as expected it didn't cycle at all even with a gunfixers plug...but I attribute all of that to not having completley broken in the gun and/or not having polished anything yet...

btw mine has 3 gas ports which I read is fine and that the newer s12's being released havr 3 instead of 4.

Sounds like you had fun today. GJ on popping the boss's cherry. LOL.

There are so many things you can do to improve the recoil/ejection/reload of the S12. If you've got the time, you can go about this the scientific way and test each remedy to see how it affects the performance.

1. Go to the range and shoot 300 slugs to a hopeful break-in point.

2. Check for the number of gas ports (optimum is 3 or 4). If you have less than 3 it may be a Vodka Special

3. Polish bolt, bolt carrier and rails. Take to the range again and shoot.

4. Get a Gunfixer gas valve. Take to the range and shoot some more.

5. Get a reduced tension front recoil spring. Take to the range and shoot even more.

Or, after you've determined that your S12 doesn't cycle properly, skip all the BS and do steps 2,3,4 and 5 all at the same time.

Hey bearhead, what type of loads where you using?

I'm in the break in process of mine as well and have only been able to fire off 75 wolf slugs so far...for me first 10-15 had failures to eject but after that it was cycling well... all on setting 2 (setting 1 wouldn't cycle for me.)

Went to a range this weekend which only offeed target loads and as expected it didn't cycle at all even with a gunfixers plug...but I attribute all of that to not having completley broken in the gun and/or not having polished anything yet...

btw mine has 3 gas ports which I read is fine and that the newer s12's being released havr 3 instead of 4.

I used Winchester 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz super speed

What range did you go to bear?

we went to Hotwells... NorthWest of Houston off 290 and Skinner road... normally I've had bad experiences there (way too crowded, rude people)... except when I qualified to get my magical card that allows me to carry concealed... going there on an off day like monday was a sweet experience... we literally had the whole place to ourselves... and a range safety officer just to ourselves... who was helping us break "From Russia with Love" in...